Turning Off LED Lights

TLeverton

I have a new PCS machine in a PCS DEFENSOR 7203B BLACK CASE.
It has rather bright LEDs which light up the room at night so anyone walking by can see I have a PC and where it is - very tempting for a thief.
Can anyone help me turn off the lights on the two cooling fans at the top of the case, please?
TIA!
:)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
it depends how they are connected inside the case. The led's might be included with the 3pin fan connection, alternatively, the led's might be powered with a separate cable that you could unplug.

but, can you not just close your curtains? or am i missing the point?

TLeverton

Bright lights

I have a new PCS machine in a PCS DEFENSOR 7203B BLACK CASE.
It has rather bright LEDs which light up the room at night so anyone walking by can see I have a PC and where it is - very tempting for a thief.
Can anyone help me turn off the lights on the two cooling fans at the top of the case, please?
TIA!
:)

Thanks.

It's so bright I can see them lighting the room even in daylight! We just Skyped someone and they asked why we are all blue!
Thanks for the ideas. I'll ask the supplier for permission to take a peek inside (so as not to invalidate guarantee). I had wondered if there was a software switch. If not, it seems like an oversight.

PS we live in a rural setting with no street lights or houses, so it really shows up. I reckon the first rule of security is not to raise awareness hence temptation.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Thanks.

It's so bright I can see them lighting the room even in daylight! We just Skyped someone and they asked why we are all blue!
Thanks for the ideas. I'll ask the supplier for permission to take a peek inside (so as not to invalidate guarantee). I had wondered if there was a software switch. If not, it seems like an oversight.

PS we live in a rural setting with no street lights or houses, so it really shows up. I reckon the first rule of security is not to raise awareness hence temptation.

You won't void the warranty by opening up the case, only if you break any components, if so then the parts broken aren't covered but the rest of the PC still is.

If the LEDs are build into the fans then you can just buy some new fans, they're pretty cheap.

halox

Enthusiast
Its easy done if you have a soldering iron. The LED's are normally connected in parallel with the fan. They increase in brightness as the fan increases in speed. To switch off the LED's if they are not connected in parallel there may be a switch on the case to switch them off depending on the case. If they are connected in parallel then you can either connect a resister in series with the LED's which will reduce the brightness or disconnect the LED's altogether.

welchb

You could also try a small piece of black electrical tape or strip of tape over the top of the LED's
Use a different colour to match your case of needed.

If you cut the ends and make this neat you'd probably hardly notice it and am sure this would do the job.

Perhaps not the 'best' soloution, however very quick and easy to apply -- will stop the "light" in the room and can easily be removed - reapplyed when needed.

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
I can vooch for the bright light. But my problem is that my monitor is near next to the window. I always have my curtain pulled on then no one can look in.