Optimus IV Turbo boost

Delinja

Bronze Level Poster
Even under no load the CPU runs at 3.2 as opposed to the normal 2.4 GHz. As I understand it turbo boost is supposed to only kick in when it's needed, not be on/off all the time. Is there any solution to this?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Even under no load the CPU runs at 3.2 as opposed to the normal 2.4 GHz. As I understand it turbo boost is supposed to only kick in when it's needed, not be on/off all the time. Is there any solution to this?

I'm guessing here, but have you got profiles enabled ie performance, quiet, normal etc... if you have a performance profile enabled it's possible it keeps the processor boosted.

Delinja

Bronze Level Poster
I'm guessing here, but have you got profiles enabled ie performance, quiet, normal etc... if you have a performance profile enabled it's possible it keeps the processor boosted.

Yeah I do have the high performance profile active since I use the machine for gaming. I don't want to have to switch power profiles all the time, if it is avoidable.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well, that profile is designed to have everything maxxed out when that profile is activated. Change the profile to normal, that'll enable the chip to normal operation (ie readyboost kicking in when required).

Keithg

Enthusiast
ON the optimus IV the CPU turbo should be disabled in the bios.
This is because the CPU and GPU share 1 cooling system and clevo decided that this was not sufficient if the CPU overclocked.

There are programs that can re enable this overclock but it invalidates warranty. Is there a program which is now controlling your CPU clock?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
ON the optimus IV the CPU turbo should be disabled in the bios.
This is because the CPU and GPU share 1 cooling system and clevo decided that this was not sufficient if the CPU overclocked.

There are programs that can re enable this overclock but it invalidates warranty. Is there a program which is now controlling your CPU clock?

I was under the impression that the CPU turbo boost is only disabled if you're using the dGPU? I think it is enabled if you're using the iGPU. But I could be wrong, I've been wrong before. :)

Delinja

Bronze Level Poster
Well now that I'm running on Balanced performance the CPU is acting fairly well, UC when not in use and going into Turbo Boost when under load. However, sometimes the clock will get locked at 1500 and won't go up (but will go down) unless I restart... any clues?