music recording and video editing PC

EthanSilver

Hello there!

I plan to build my first desktop but I am really struggling with basically every stage of the custom build so could do with a hand.
I have a budget of £1000 with a bit of flexibility at the top end if you think a little more could benefit me greatly.
I will be using this computer both for recording music and for editing videos (making short films, music videos etc).
I would need everything including operating system and peripherals.
I have a usb interface for recording http://www.gak.co.uk/en/art-usb-dual-pre-usb-interface/19838?gclid=CJn44cWM-L0CFQ7MtAodp1AAQw and wondered if through using this I could get away with having a basic soundcard or if a decent one is still worth forking out for.
Thanks for your time; any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

:yes:

pr1s0ner

You can use the ART as an alternative to a sound card, you'll just need to pick up some (preferably shielded) monitors.

I use an outboard USB sound card on my main pc and it works fine for audio/video/gaming etc... the only thing that is a pain is skype which won't detect the sound card as a mic input :(

Spuff

Expert
I have a usb interface for recording http://www.gak.co.uk/en/art-usb-dual-pre-usb-interface/19838?gclid=CJn44cWM-L0CFQ7MtAodp1AAQw and wondered if through using this I could get away with having a basic soundcard or if a decent one is still worth forking out for.

You don't need any soundcard in your computer if you have that ART thing. The ART has two inputs and its outputs are two 1/4 inch jack outputs and a mini-jack headphone output. If you plan on having one pair of speakers and one pair of headphones it's all you need (you could connect two pairs of stereo speakers with splitter leads, but that would be two lots of the same stereo). You would need speakers with analogue inputs/connections.
The purpose of a soundcard in a computer is to get audio in and out of your computer, which is also the purpose of the ART device.
Unless you need to do critical listening through expensive monitoring, I don't think you will find anything lacking in the sound quality of the ART.

Last edited: