Internet Explorer stopped working

thastings

I'm running Windows 8.1 with IE 11 built in. It's suddenly stopped working - just get an error message, telling me to close it down. Of course, you can't uninstall and reinstall, because it's built in. I've run scannow, which tells me there are corrupted registry files that can't be fixed. Maybe that's the problem? I've disabled IE and have switched to Chrome, but I've got one web-based database that only works on IE. Any suggestions?

pr1s0ner

I think with win 8 that after you turn off IE and restart that it uninstalls it, and then re-installs if you re-enable. Might be worth trying :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If sfc /scannow is reporting errors that can't be fixed then all is certainly not well. I have no idea whether that's your problem but it's not a good sign. If it were mine and I was getting the IE problem you mention and the sfc scan errors I would be thinking about a clean reinstall of Windows.

mishra

Rising Star
If sfc /scannow says there are things that cannot be fixed I bet it's corrupted sector on the disk.
Run checkdisk on your drive. Once it goes through and fixes everything (it will restart your PC and will take a while) then run sfc /scannow again. It should fix "unfixable" errors. And hopefuly your IE will work again.

Good thing is also to go to Control Panel - Internet Options -> Advanced tab -> Reset and do a full IE reset.
Fingers crossed :)

ps. also check Event Viewer if there are any Disk related errors, or maybe use HD Tune (free) to check if your HDD is all fine.