Top Spec Gaming PC £2000 Beast

jonwhi

Guys, I have £2000 to spend on a rig. I think I've created something which is good - perhaps great. I want to play Elite Dangerous, my laptop currently wont do it justice. I think this spec may be serious overkill, however I'll also be using the rig as a serious development machine. Obviously having a "big rig" will allow me to play some other games too at serious resolutions and qualities.

I currently have an old Iiyama HD 22inch monitor which is ok and I'll be using that as secondary monitor, but I probably want a new one.

So basic overall requirements are:
* Something which will run Elite Dangerous and other games SERIOUSLY well!!!! (probably will end up trying Elder Scrolls Online)
* Probably wont do Nvidea Surround/Eyefinity YET, but will want to look into it in the future
* I will only be buying ONE Graphics card for now - but I want to be able to expand to SLI/Crossfire later.
* I will only be buying ONE SSD and one HDD for now - but I want to be able to RAID (mirror) later for speed.
* I'm not [that] interested in overclocking (all those voltages and frequencies do my head in), but if I can manage to overclock a basic configuration without the complexity of fitting water cooling to my graphics card that would be great.
* I want a nice new monitor - but I've chosen an HD model (i.e. 1920x1080) - not sure about whether it's a good monitor or for the same price would a 2650x1080 or perhaps 2650x1440 be similar value.
* Not sure whether GTX or RADEON R9 - I've settled on a Radeon R9 290x for this quote.
* I've chosen 2333MHz Memory - is that overkill over 1600MHz
* In normal operation I want it quiet...
* I've upped the PSU to 1000W to allow for the added Wattage should I need to add a second video card.
* I would like to assume that in due course when prices come down I could get a CPU with more cores... i do plan to use this machine for work (occasionally)

The spec I've chosen is below - any comments suggestions would be gratefully received.

Massive Thanks

Jonny White

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ AIR 540 GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4770k (3.5GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® MAXIMUS VI HERO: PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0, USB3.0
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB AMD RADEON™ R9 290X - DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
1st Hard Disk
250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EZRX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
4x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ROM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 8.1 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Monitor
IIYAMA GB2488HSU-B1 24" PRO GAMER
Probably want some advice on monitor too!!!
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
FAST TRACK 5 WORKING DAY DISPATCH
Is this actually going to make much difference?
Quantity

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Are you overclocking your CPU? I wouldn't recommend the r9-290x, gets very hot and throttles when it reaches high temperatures as well as being noisy at full load. For your budget you can easily get the gtx 780. Monitor wise if you stick with r9-290x or gtx 780 the one you chosen is fine. If you wish to get the gtx 780 ti I would recommend the iiyama 1440p resolution monitor. Get the caviar black as the secondary drive and gold warranty to cover parts for 2 years. Fast track is up to you can you patiently wait for around 3 to 4 weeks?

jonwhi

Why would the R9-290x get hotter if I was overclocking the CPU? I thought they would be independent. For now - I was thinking of NOT overclocking anyway.

Is the GTX780 going to perform better than the 290x?

Thanks for your comments though - really helpful....

jonwhi

Really interesting stuff Keynes about Heat and Noise. I think I might go down the GTX route, which actually saves me £38 (or costs a further £86 if I go down the Ti route).

I would ultimately like to have a rig which is or can be made 4K ready when the prices of 4K monitors falls and Microsoft sorts out scaling.

BTW: Would you suggest downgrading to Windows 7 rather than Windows 8.# - I have a legit license waiting to be used.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Either will be fine regarding the OS. Also you could downgrade the motherboard to the z87-a without any loss in gaming performance and anything higher than 1600mhz is not needed for gaming.