Star Wars Ep7

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Cast announced yesterday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27210448

But also this photo emerged, with the website involved speculating on characters by where they are sitting in the room :)

Quite interesting I thought

qpuxh077odqjrgycy5vf.jpg

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'm not sure what I think about this. I loved Star Wars, but Disney making it? Have Disney ever made a decent space action movie?

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
lol thats a kids movie...

Uhm, said no one ever! :D

Also, Flight of the Navigator! HA!

In all seriousness, I think people should get away from the "It's a Disney movie". It isn't going to be Frozen in Space or anything :)

Have faith tom :)

Last edited:

Spuff

Expert
I do find it a really interesting photo.
Why do some have a book, and others don't?
ChewbaccaMayhew has a book and he only has to motivate fur.

It's going to be in some way branded under Disney who will be co-producing it with Lucasfilm. A film studio can make all sorts of production contribution without writing or directing the film.
All the Star Wars films have been made to appeal to children. TESB veered slightly away from that feel, and it is the least popular of the original trilogy.

Pirates of the Caribbean (all Disney) has been pitched at the same sort of audience as Star Wars are.

Last edited:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Was discussing the photo with the IT manager earlier and we decided that because it is JJ Abrams, and the photo was obviously put out there by someone official, the whole setup and organisation of people could just be to screw with fans/theorists :)

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I'm not sure what I think about this. I loved Star Wars, but Disney making it? Have Disney ever made a decent space action movie?

George Lucas only ever made three good ones. I'll watch these, but I definitely won't have the expectation I had when the God-awful Phantom Menace came out. Disney can't do any worse than Lucas did with the last lot.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
George Lucas only ever made three good ones. I'll watch these, but I definitely won't have the expectation I had when the God-awful Phantom Menace came out. Disney can't do any worse than Lucas did with the last lot.

hahah yea good point.

Spuff

Expert
I love episodes 1 to 3 , and I'm someone who saw Star Wars when it was first out.
I don't understand why someone can watch 4 to 6 and think they're good and think the opposite of 1 to 3. You don't need to explain why to me, it's all a matter of taste.

DT87

Gold Level Poster
I love episodes 1 to 3 , and I'm someone who saw Star Wars when it was first out.
I don't understand why someone can watch 4 to 6 and think they're good and think the opposite of 1 to 3. You don't need to explain why to me, it's all a matter of taste.

I like them all mate to a degree,Episode one would be my least favorite.And i wish they had not gone with Hayden Christensen.But other than that i enjoy them :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I do agree that a lot of 1-3 hate comes from people that just don't WANT to like them, because reasons :)

We all know there were...issues, but over all, what's not to enjoy?

That said, I agree with the above. I happened to watch a bit of Ep3 late night on ITV and OMG WHY DID THEY CAST HAYDEN?! He's just so...bad. I know we are meant to root the Jedi, but did they to make it that easy?! :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Speaking of star wars, I like this :)

[video=youtube;4HbzaIgBDRI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HbzaIgBDRI&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Randomthom

Silver Level Poster
Regarding why 1-3 are largely disliked, there's a few major reasons;

First, think of a character in the original trilogy & describe them without saying anything about what they look like or what they do. E.g. Han Solo: loveable rogue, acts the mercenary but is essentially a good-guy at heart. Now try & do that for any character in Ep1-3. Wooden characters, almost all of them.

Acting in the original trilogy wasn't a "strong" point of them per-sé but they vastly out-perform the prequel trilogy. Particularly Hayden Christensen.

A big 'flaw' in the original trilogy is very open to personal preference and interpretation but the explanation of the force acting through the microscopic organisms "midichlorians" ruined the... magic for many. It very-much seemed to be a stick for the fanboys to beat each other over the head with in their endless debates about who the most powerful star wars character is, now they had a number to go with that.

One of the more controversial elements of the original trilogy, the Ewoks (originally written in the script as wookies), were essentially put in to have something small, furry and marketable. Thus was born Jar-jar...

See also: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/04/15/the-9-dumbest-decisions-in-the-star-wars-prequels

Seriously, that's some poorly thought-out plot. Lucas knew where the story had to end up at the end of Ep3 but getting there was some seriously contrived and painful watching.

Oh, also, did you notice that everything looked more futuristic in Ep1-3 than in 4-6... funny that...

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I really enjoyed Episode 3, I loved how evil everything suddenly got, and it had some great lines.

I didn't understand the American diner in Coruscant though. (Either ep2 or 3, can't remember which) that made zero sense.

Last edited:

Mad_Dog_McCracken

These films (despite having a lot of British actors and filmed here) are aimed primarily at the American market and - let's be honest here - a LOT of American cinema goers are pretty dumb so films have to unfortunately reflect that. 2 examples: Harry Potter and the philosophers stone was renamed sorcerers stone in America because film bosses were worried that American audiences wouldn't go and see a film with the word 'philosopher' in the title. Also LoTR Return of the King was (almost) called something else because New Line were worried Americans wouldn't go and see it because the title 'gave the plot away'.

Mad_Dog_McCracken

I went to a cinema in Denver, Colorado many years ago. Was stood in the queue talking to a friend and the group behind heard my English accent and asked me if I knew the Queen!!