Any mechanics in tonight?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Well I say mechanic, I mean anyone who does work on their own car would probably be enough.

Basically something went clump, rattle rattle rattle earlier today. Tonight I managed to locate the problem, after removing all the lining in the boot i see one of the rear shocks is no longer attached. I have never done anything to any car I have ever owned before, well apart from change a wheel and charge the battery kind of stuff.

Now I only use the car for 'pleasure' at the moment so getting it fixed isn't a huge deal, but the garage doesn't have a free slot until June 3rd which is a fair while away. But it struck me im always telling people to have a dig about inside their computer when they have no idea what they're doing so I decided I can give this a go.

So after a quick google and look on youtube it seems like a relatively easy job. It looks from what I can see (haven't got it off yet) but it looks like its the rear shock top strut that's broken, anyone know if it IS an easy job? I can get the parts fairly cheap, cant really be done with paying the labour if I can do it myself... It's not a job you need loads of tools for, that's always a big thing for me as i don't have many. Also anyone know if id be as well replacing both sides and both shocks at the same time?

I await your wisdom!

XplosiV

Bronze Level Poster
I don't know too much about shocks & springs, but I do know if you're likely to be removing/refitting/replacing the springs while working with the shocks, you probably want to borrow a spring compressor tool to make them easier to work with.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The shocks are completely separate on the rear thankfully. I worked on it for a while this morning, no joy... The bolt holding the bottom of the shock to the suspension assembly is rock solid, normal ratchet wont shift it ( at the angle I can get to it anyway) then I can just about move it with an extension bar but not enough clearance to move it much so I'm giving up before I break something. I don't have anything to heat the bolt with and penetrating oil isn't having much impact and I don't want to snap it off. I probably could get off with just replacing the broken bit in situ but that looks to have its problems too, I'm probably going to have the garage replace both shocks and mounting brackets.

So yeah, it confirmed my already strongly held belief that I shouldn't do my own car maintenance. I'll just have to brace for the labour charges at the garage :(

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
Well My job title is Performance Technician...but yes I am a mechanic.

I assume it is a macpherson strut suspension assembly you have, but regardless of rig outlay you will really want a spring compressor. I have seen too many accidents with apprentices when it comes to springs flying across the garage. It is typically at 20-30 minute job as long as no issues arise (Which is never the case :p) but dependent on hard to access areas what I would normally do in most cases is take the strut off, or at last remove certain bolts to allow easier access.

I would get it in to a mechanic as you say you can only get a ratchet to it at a certain angle which sounds like you could be rounding the bolt head, what is usually standard practice is to soak the offending bolt in as you say penetrating oil, then as a last resort we use an oxy-acetylene combo torch to heat it cherry red before removing it. It is recommended not to do this if you aren't sure of what you're doing as the integrity of the bolt can be compromised if it isn't heat treated after removal.

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I've completely given up on it, its all booked into the garage. Its looks like a 5 minute job. The shock is actually totally separate from the spring on the rear. The problem is I can't get it high enough to use my breaker bar on it, something like a garage pit would have been ideal. It really is such a simple job now ive had a go at it, but it is the usual story, it would cost me at least double to buy the tools than the garage will charge in labour.

Its be well chuffed if I could just get the bottom bolt out, the kit come with new ones so it wouldn't be a problem of making it brittle or anything. Just don't have the tools, I think i'll stick to computers, all you need is a screwdriver and your sorted!

Nobody asked you what sort of car it is - all are different. You don't need a spring compressor on almost all cars for the rear, very simple job. hope you got sorted out ok

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Its a focus, it really is a simple job and I realise that. I can see how to do it but without investing in some more kit I can't do it, im not a small chap but that bolt is rock solid. I can move it with my biggest bar but I cant get into a position where I can move it and see what im doing at the same time. The last thing I want to do is round the head off, or snap the bolt itself.

It's something im definitely going to get more into with time, I just need to invest in the tools but more importantly a place to keep em.

I've booked it into the garage for next Tuesday, they're going to give me a quote. It shouldn't be more than an hours labour so not too bad, just annoying that its such a simple job and im only a fraction away from being able to do it.

PaulH

Bright Spark
Just done exactly same on my Saab, replaced all springs on the car with some Eibachs, to remove the rear springs had to remove the single E20 bolt holding the bottom of the shock to the rear frame so I could bar it down enough to remove the springs when jacked up! One side was very tough to get to managed to use my 1/4 ratchet with a tube on the end to give it enough beans to shift it!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Just got it back from the garage on Tuesday, total cost £99 so not that bad but it was a simple job. VAT and labour was 60% of that bill so if I'd managed to get it done myself I'd have saved a bit, however nowhere near enough to buy the tools I would have needed to finish the job properly.

Anyway, all done and dusted now. With my current car you can bet it wont be long before im facing another malfunction, maybe I can fix that one :)

PokerFace

Banned
I drive a 1995 Astra which has only 60k on the clock. At least 5 years ago I took it to a 'Quik Fit' for an MOT. They did a bit of work on it and gave me an MOT. They said the rear shocks were leaking slightly, but not enough to fail. I didn't get them changed and more than 5 MOT's later at various garages, there hasn't been a mention of the shocks.

Either they've fixed themselves, run out of fluid (so no visible leaks), or were fine anyway.

Bottom line: £100 saved by not changing them.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I'm lucky with the garage I use. never had anything dodgy go down. Everyone in my family uses it, buy cars from em, services and MOT's etc. So it probably helps we have a great relationship with them. The thing with using Halfords/Quick Fit etc is they are probably on commission so they may try and pull a fast one every now and again.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Do we have any mechanics on the forums?

I have a question and I could do with a mechanics opinion. hmmm, this happens frequently lol.

So, went to pick up the missus 2008 Astra 1.6 from the garage was just a full service, charged her 110 quid.

They also said her right rear spring is broken. However, few months ago when they MOT'd the car, they said her rear left spring was broken. At the time, they didn't want to replace both springs and said it wasn't necessary. I tried to argue otherwise but to no avail. Had they replaced both springs in the first place this wouldn't have happened. -.-

I got underneath the car to physically check and confirm that the spring is actually broken. I can see the left rear spring looks newer than the right rear. But the Right Rear which they have said is broken (but apparently not dangerous) looks fine to me. Whilst looking a bit older than the left rear, I can see no cracks or damage to it and It felt solid to touch. Any ideas?

The two pictures below, are the right rear spring. Does it look broken?

20140624_165759.jpg

20140624_165805.jpg

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
As my postings in this thread make obvious, I'm no mechanic.

However I do see the spring is broken. Forgive my paint skills (crude but effective is my style) but the red circle shows where its broken.

A broken spring at the ends isn't normally dangerous because it just sits on the plate (no idea what its name is) They only tend to be dangerous when they snap half way up and could slid off and into a tyre or something. You can see what it should look like if you look at the 2nd photo showing the top.

I only know about this stuff because an old car used to eat front springs for breakfast, was having to get them changed so often! Anyway yeah, its broke...

tom_gr7

Life Serving
ah thanks dude, I did see that but I wasn't certain if it was just because the spring is a bit old and the end could have rusted.

Will let her know. Pretty annoyed the garage never replaced both springs in the first place. I tried to argue that both should be replaced, but no one listened. lol :(

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I'm surprised the garage turned down the work, easy money for them. Maybe they have a policy of not doing unnecessary work, or they are lazy, not sure. At least it shouldn't cost any more to do the work that it would if they did both together.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'm surprised the garage turned down the work, easy money for them. Maybe they have a policy of not doing unnecessary work, or they are lazy, not sure. At least it shouldn't cost any more to do the work that it would if they did both together.

Yeah its annoyed me tbh. I had a look on Eurocarparts and the spring (i think) they fitted was only 18quid but they charged her 70 to fit it. Europcarparts will only sell them in pairs lol. So I have no idea why they didn't do them both. The only reason I can cynically come up with, is that they knew she looks after the car and will be in for a service a few months later, at which point the spring would probably need replacing and she'd be paying another 70 quid. I dunno, i could be wrong.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Sound about right for the cost of a replacement, my old car used to be 90 odd quid every time a spring went pop...

Generally parts are cheap, its the labour that kills. If they had done both at the same time it would still cost the same as if they did it at the next service anyway... I think they were genuinely trying to save her spending cash she didn't need to. When my car was in for the purpose described in this thread I asked em to do the shocks as well as the mounts as they were only a few quid each and wouldn't add any extra labour time. But they just straight up told me they were fine, but I trust this garage 100% and they know fine well they would loose thousands of pounds per year in custom as my whole family uses them for service, repair and buying cars. if they screwed one of us they would loose the lot, so I think it pays to have a good relationship with your mechanic :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Yeah, i think you are most like correct and they were trying to save her money by only doing one part.

On the topic of parts. Car parts for her Vauxhall are dirt cheap! However, parts for my Subaru Legacy are not cheap!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Generally parts are cheap, I always find it's the labour that kills. As far as some parts being more expensive than others, is that aftermarket parts you are looking at or dealer supplied parts?