The Best Monitor I've Ever Owned

Tom DWC

Just a shout out because I'm a picky as hell about this and have spent months looking for a monitor I can live with. So, after god knows how many returns within the 7 day window I've come across the BenQ BL3200PT.

I eventually gave up on IPS for a larger desktop screen, despite the good viewing angles the glow is just too much, blacks have no depth and every single model I tried had minor to major backlight bleed. Noticeable in dark games and terrible for movies. Contrast is okay but really all they have going for them is accurate colour, as important as that is.

So this is the first VA model I've ever tried, in this case AMVA. And it's the best I've used. Great build quality. 32" at 1440p is great, found it a tad small at 27" for text. At this scale it has the same PPI as a 24" 1920x1200 monitor. Absolutely no noticeable backlight bleed (finally!) and far deeper blacks than TN or IPS can deliver - good for games and movies. The black bars are actually black, not grey or almost black with light leakage here and there.

The colours and viewing angles are just as good as any modern IPS, and viewing angles used to be the weakness of VA tech so it's clearly moved forward. Another drawback of the tech is contrast shift but again, not noticed any, from what I've read it only shows up clearly when viewing straight on when you have grey text against black - not common.

In the past VA response times have been poor but again, on this one they're no worse than an IPS screen now so they're okay. Probs not enough for anyone used to a 120Hz 1ms TN but still fine.

Basically I have no idea why IPS is still being pushed and not AMVA.

Of course there had to be something. Much like my laptop, a dead pixel. Monitors suck. :D

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i know absolutely nothing about monitors, other than my IIyama's do the job well. However, I aint used any better, so wouldnt know any different.

Anyway, got any pics? can you get them in 24's? although, i imagine three 24's at 1440p is gonna need some top of the range gpu's.

Tom DWC

Yeah that's fair enough, I never used to either when I just wanted a TN with a quick response time for gaming but I've gotten really fussy about them now lol. I just figure we all spend money on decent rigs, may as well have a quality screen to go with it.

I'm not sure if it's available in 24", I would doubt it, most 1440ps are 27" which I still found a tad small for text personally. It fills a gap cause AFAIK it's the only 1440p display of this size right now.

You can get the low end 4K panels for the same price but lots of flaws and gaming on it is just unaffordable still.

Yeah 3-way would be pretty heavy, just the one and the 770 holds up pretty well though, just can't have AA on everything. That said don't need anymore than 2-4x anyway, seems to make no difference above 1080p.

Won't be for everyone especially for hardcore gaming or if you like multi-monitor setups but was exactly what I was after personally.

PCS get stocking it!

IMG_20140528_221631.jpg

tom_gr7

Life Serving
it does look very nice mate.

For my next build, im wanting to go for a triple screen setup. Was thinking of getting three 120hz's screens. But the reality is i wont be able to afford it haha.

Bsrz

Rising Star
it does look very nice mate.

For my next build, im wanting to go for a triple screen setup. Was thinking of getting three 120hz's screens. But the reality is i wont be able to afford it haha.

no point getting 3 x 120hz mate unless you have the gpu's to get 120 fps at 5760 x 1080. the main thing you want is good viewing angles and a thin bezel.

I can highly recommend the asus vn247h monitors that I currently own 3 of, in terms of bezel there is next to none and the viewing angle are awesome, no visible ghosting to.