New phone, suggestions?

bigben

Master Poster
Hi, contracts up for renewal and I'd like to move away from iphone (currently got a 4s) and try something else.

Main uses are texting and music and the occasional bit of internet. edit: I use the notepad thing quite a lot too but I expect that's pretty universal...
I quite like the look of the HTC One m8, the only thing that puts me off a bit is that it's massive.

Any other suggestions would be great,
Thanks

Last edited:

bigben

Master Poster
ideally I'd like to go cheaper, also I expect iphone 6 will be out soon so I'd rather wait for that if I do go for iphone again (I got my 4s about 3 weeks before the 5 came out and was a bit gutted)

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
The four obvious choices would be:
- HTC One M8
- Galaxy S5
- Nexus 5
- Xperia Z2

For the larger phone:
- Galaxy Note 3

To be original and have something not many others will, wait until the OnePlus One is released.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
The four obvious choices would be:
- HTC One M8
- Galaxy S5
- Nexus 5
- Xperia Z2

For the larger phone:
- Galaxy Note 3

To be original and have something not many others will, wait until the OnePlus One is released.

I wouldn't say that is the 4 obvious choices. What about a Windows Phone or an iPhone

And I will be getting the OPO when I can finally get an invite.

bigben

Master Poster
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm obviously gonna have to go and have a fiddle with some in a shop

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
just bear in mind how laggy the Samsung bloatware (that can't be disabled) can make the device after your apps are installed. I've got friends with new new GS5s and they are complaining its laggy after installing all of their apps

Alberto96

Get one of this ones:

- LG Nexus 5
- Motorola Moto X
- LG Nexus 4
- Motorola Moto G
- Any Google Play Edition Device (like Galaxy S4 GPE, HTC One M7 GPE....)

No bloatware. Supported directly by Google (updates...). No performance issues.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
I wouldn't say that is the 4 obvious choices. What about a Windows Phone or an iPhone

And I will be getting the OPO when I can finally get an invite.

Well... he did say not an iPhone anymore. And Windows phone? Hmm... :wheelchair:

bigben

Master Poster
Went into the EE shop and had a look, the HTC One M8 was the one I liked the most (not that I knew what I was doing when I was playing with it), so that's the one I went for. Being delivered Monday.
Just got to learn to use Android and sell my 4s to my Mum and I'll be sorted.

Thanks for all suggestions.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
ideally I'd like to go cheaper, also I expect iphone 6 will be out soon so I'd rather wait for that if I do go for iphone again (I got my 4s about 3 weeks before the 5 came out and was a bit gutted)

The HTC One M8 isn't cheaper than an iphone, is it?

The phones I'd recommend would be:
-HTC One M8
-Samsung S5
-Sony Xperia Z2
-Nexus 5 (Pretty cheap and very good. It's a bit better than an S4 and you can get it pretty cheap if you buy it upfront)

To be honest I'm not a fan of the HTC, I've had HTCs in the past and they're good for the first year and then they decided to degrade pretty quickly. My S4 has been fine for a year now and can still run anything fine. You could probably buy an S4 or Xperia
Z and it would still run really well because there isn't a huge difference in the specs now, they mostly just add pointless features.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I'm like that with Samsung, I've found their devices to become slow pretty quickly as the bloatware just makes everything lag, whereas Sense 6 on HTC is much lighter and actually includes some useful additions to Android. But personally I will always go vanilla Android or close to it (eg CM11)

If you want something easy to use but with some of the features not available on iOS in terms of customization then your best bet is Windows Phone. I'm in the developer preview for 8.1 and its actually really good, currently a bit buggy but it is a beta so its expected. Every Windows Phone update I've had has been 100% rock solid never caused any lag and only the developer preview has caused the occasional app crash on some of the new system apps (also in beta)

And the 'no apps' thing is a myth, I've not had any trouble at all getting any apps that I want. The only reason iOS and Play Store have more is because they are 90% games.

mishra

Rising Star
And the 'no apps' thing is a myth, I've not had any trouble at all getting any apps that I want.

It is not quite exactly like that. Last time I checked there was no official Google Apps there to start with. So getting Google Drive, Google Mail or Google Maps have to be done using "third-party" apps. Some of these work, some of these do not.
Maybe it has changed recently but Windows based phones were not exactly Google services friendly. Again, I know you can get "third-party" apps to do the job... but since all these apps are free from Google on iPhone and Android I find it quite odd Windows based phones do not have them or you have to pay for them. I hope it changed recently and what I said is no longer true...

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
There are no official google apps other than the search app I forgot about that.
Google Drive - Use OneDrive? If you have a strong dependency on Google Drive then no, its probably not the best OS. I do use Google Drive but it has never been required on my phone and OneDrive auto syncs all my photos etc and sits nicely within the photo gallery app as well as its own app.
Google Mail - Use the built in email app, it offers everything I need and syncs my Gmail and Yahoo account automatically and allowed me to put them in a single inbox.
And Bing Maps is surprisingly good, it was much better than I expected and for navigation Here Drive (Here is/was part of Nokia) is much better than Google Maps navigation.

Ok I will try again: If you want more customization than iOS but you don't want a laggy phone and you are also not tied to all of Google's services then I would recommend a Windows Phone.