New phone, suggestions?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i've got an S4 mini, had it for w few months now. Sure there is a bit of samsung crap on it. I just disabled it all. No sign of any slow down whatsoever, runs nice and fast. :)

bigben

Master Poster
Hiya, one more thing:
I'm giving my iphone to my Mum who is on a different network, I was going to ring EE to get them to unlock the phone for me but in my excitement when the HTC arrived I went and started playing with it which killed the old sim. Do you know if they will be able to unlock the phone in the shop?

Thanks

XplosiV

Bronze Level Poster
As I remember, you don't need a sim to unlock the phone, but if you do just get a free one from any network. We had a ton of issues with keeping our original numbers a few years ago with tmobile, we were told out was easy to keep our numbers, the reality was, it wasn't at all. We had to get new sims from a different network (orange in this case) load them with cash so we could call customer service, to PAK our numbers to Orange, just to find the handsets were locked to tmobile. The mrs called tmobile and bitched good and proper and they gave us unlock codes over the phone (iirc). Part of the process was to put in a different sim so you could intentionally lock the phone to get the prompt for the unlock code. Some details could be a tad sketchy as it was a fair while ago.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Im rocking a Nexus 6 at the moment, its been my favorite so far.

I was very tempted, but screen was just a tad above my limit as well as the price and it had worse availability than the OnePlus One at the time. If it had been 5.7/5.8 and similar price to Nexus 5 I would have got it.

NoIdea

I was always a Samsung fan boy but got really sick of the Galaxy 5 and went for an HTC One M8 in the end. I have to say that now I would never go back, what a great phone and really practical for its size. Very easy to use for calls and so forth, which is exactly the point I suppose!

Cricky

Enthusiast
I second the HTC One M8. It is pretty big but an excellent phone. The camera is good, even in low light.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I didn't like the camera on the M8. It was that ultrapixel thing again. Awful for trying to take photos of distant objects or scaling on to a large screen. I'm not obsessed with pixels but 4MP is not enough. 8MP-13MP is the sweet spot for low light and enough quality for distant objects.

Cricky

Enthusiast
I've heard various discussions on the M8's camera, both good and bad. There appears to be quite a difference of opinion. In my experience the M8's camera is better than my previous phone which was 8MP and is better in low light too.

Though for proper photos I use an actual camera. Phones just can't compete with a proper lens, however I've found my M8 fine for 6x4 prints and I even had 10" canvas print done from one of my pics and it came out well. :)

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
LG G3 here... Far better than the Samsung iterations I used to have... Awesome phone. And who doesn't want a 4k camcorder?!

Karnivore

Oneplus One. Got my invite two weeks after joining the forum last year. Probably available to buy now, but the phone is as good, if not better, than the iPhone 6 and costs a third of the price.

64Gb storage, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 801, 13Mp camera (8Mp front), Cyanogenmod OS.

In fact, here:
https://oneplus.net/uk

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Oneplus One. Got my invite two weeks after joining the forum last year. Probably available to buy now, but the phone is as good, if not better, than the iPhone 6 and costs a third of the price.

64Gb storage, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 801, 13Mp camera (8Mp front), Cyanogenmod OS.

In fact, here:
https://oneplus.net/uk

They have No Invite Tuesday's now, every Tuesday you can buy it without an invite. I don't see how this would be any different to removing invites completely, it just concentrates their sales into 1 day a week.

Karnivore

Don't think they ever anticipated just how in demand the phone would be. It's a sensational bit of kit though. Combine it with a Three SIM only deal and you're laughing.

mishra

Rising Star
My mate have s7 here at work, and it crashes almost weekly for him, also alarm does not wake him up in morning (on some days - due to phone crashing overnight!). He tried all sorts of factory resets and updates to no avail.
Another mate at work also with S7 edge says calls randomly being dropped and she's got issues with sound in general (not sure what that means tho). This could be just unique occurrences... but I wouldn't touch that phone with a barge pole. Not at this price range! Hopefully others have better experiences with this phone.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
My mate have s7 here at work, and it crashes almost weekly for him, also alarm does not wake him up in morning (on some days - due to phone crashing overnight!). He tried all sorts of factory resets and updates to no avail.
Another mate at work also with S7 edge says calls randomly being dropped and she's got issues with sound in general (not sure what that means tho). This could be just unique occurrences... but I wouldn't touch that phone with a barge pole. Not at this price range! Hopefully others have better experiences with this phone.

Hmm, my wife is always saying her Alarm sometimes doesn't work, she had an S5 mini, i told her she was just doing it wrong. Perhaps she might have been onto something.