Suggestions for iPhone replacement ?

Dantay

I've had nothing but a bad experience with my iPhone so I need suggestions from you more knowledgable people for my next phone :)

What I'd like is a smartphone with:

a large screen (The bigger the better),

ACTUAL keys (I'm a fan of the full qwerty slide out keyboards ),

Web and Email access (preferably something that can browse the web without stuttering like mad and supports flash)....

Apps I'm not too fussed about.

Thats not too much to ask in a Phone nowadays is it ? ;D

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
HTC touch or desire z or something along those lines have slide out keyboards, i was gonna go android... but then i crawled back to apple :(
oh and the T-mobile G2

Last edited:

Meds

I have an HTC Desire, which I love but the battery sucks. The Google Nexus S seems to be the best android phone available to buy today.

Gorman

Author Level
Currently suckered into an iphone contract but will be jumping ship to a winmo 7 phone as soon as possible.

JSG10

Expert
As Meds suggests, the Google Nexus S is definitely worth considering, its basically the Samsung Galaxy S "2" plus it has a slide out keypad, I do miss my buttons! Next phone will have to have them I think.

amosela

I would recommend getting a fully touch screen phone, and download a good keyboard (SwiftKey X is very good)
The Samsung galaxy s2(SGS2) is a fantastic phone, while the Galaxy nexus maybe seen as the new improved version, the improvements are small and not that noteworthy.
I know ICS itself is a big change but that will be one the SGS2 shortly. Also having a strong dev community behind the SGS2 means you can download and install great custom Roms and get best bits of ICS but in a better package.

Also the SGS2 will be much cheaper than the Galaxy Nexus (You can get the SGS2 for £26 a month through Phone4U)

Their is a model which has a slider but it is an american phone and is not bound for our shores sadly. :(

mishra

Rising Star
... but will be jumping ship to a winmo 7 phone as soon as possible.

..and why would you want to do that? ;)
They are still miles behind competition (Android, iOS) and judging last WinMo nightmares so far, I would give that platform another year or maybe even two (that's pushing propably a bit). They need time to gather experience, grow up a little, decide which way they really wan't to go with that platform. Dunno, I would personally stay well clear from that platform, at least for now... but I suppose it's a personal choice. Thought, you Gorman, I expected more from you :p

ps. I am still awaiting an invite to your new place.

ps2. Back to topic, get yourself Samsung Galaxy S2 ... even though no qwerty, typing (even super fast typing) is like a dream. I come from xperia with qwerty, and could type on SG2 as quick as on xperia, after playing with phone 5 mins in the shop. It's amazing phone. Though, I decided to go with iPhone :( but not complaining much... phone is a phone.. will replace in future anyway. no biggie.

jwonno

I have a HTC Desire Z and can tell you slide out QWERTY keyboards are the way forward. The slight extra weight is well worth the choice between touch and tactile keys. Webpages load at reasonable speeds, and even with loads of apps and a couple of live widgets on my screens I don't notice any lag.

If you want something newer I would keep your eyes on the Samsung Captivate Glide which is what I will be upgrading to when it comes out.