winning / whistling noise from new pc.

Bsrz

Rising Star
whining / whistling noise from new pc.

Hey all my new pc has arrived everything is perfect and running - will do a full review in a bit, just have a little but very annoying problem.

there is a high pitched whining / whistling noise coming from the pc. - maybe the HDD or fans? is there anyway I can find out whats causing the noise? I have a feeling its the HDD.

thanks.

Last edited:

Bsrz

Rising Star
I just rebooted the pc - removed both side panels and disconnected the HDD cables yet the sound is still there, so i don't think it can be the HDD, im now thinking it might be the fans / cpu cooler maybe? really not sure.

T

TheGeeza

It could be coil whine.
Unfortunately it can come from some components when they are put under load and sometimes when they are not under load at all.

Bsrz

Rising Star
It could be coil whine.
Unfortunately it can come from some components when they are put under load and sometimes when they are not under load at all.

Just looked up a linus tech tips video of coil whine since I didn't know what it was and I honestly don't think that's what it is, mine is just one continuous noise, like a hiss in the background.
really getting on my nerves lol.

D

Distinct

If you have disconnected the fans and the hard drives just try and listen to the PSU. The PSU could be giving you coil whine in fact that is most likely the case.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Could be "Coil whine" or "cap whine" as suggested by The Geeza,these are terms used to describe high pitched whistling/hissing sounds that can emanate from components such as capacitors or inductors on the motherboard or GPU for example,it's usually caused by high frequency power draw from the PSU & is normal to a certain extent.
This can disappear after a short time,but if it persists and is really annoying,probably best to give PCS a call.

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
so I take it nothing can be done to fix this problem?
Replacing the PSU can fix the problem,but it's not always necessary,the issue can sometimes disappear,I would give it a couple of days then if it persists give PCS a call.

Last edited: