Problems with sharp edges

Cascador

Tried to contact support about this, but was sadly given no advice.

Have had my new laptop for 2 days and my wife and I are having issues with the sharp edges of the laptop. Our wrists and palms are raw already. We travel around a great deal, so putting it on a flat surface isn't always solution for us. I've seen online that some people file the edges off, but support told me, as I expected, that it would void the warranty. Didn't expect otherwise, and besides, I really don't want to have to destroy the new laptop days after its arrived. Have seen in the US that guard strips can be bought for the macbook, but I haven't seen anything like that in the UK, so was curious if anyone else had found a solution to this? Would appreciate it.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Would you be up for a kind of 'home made' approach?

This might be a bit, erm well lets just say 'rustic'. But I'm sure it would work a treat.

You know this stuff..... http://www.wickes.co.uk/Economy-Pipe-Insulation-22mmx1m-PK5/p/210454 for insulating pipes. Grab some of that and just cut a slit down one side, cut to fit the laptop and slot it over the front. You get loads of different sizes so I'm sure you could find one that isn't too bulky, but as I said, very rustic so not for everyone.

As for off the shelf stuff I have no idea.

Cascador

Well I was thinking of something along those lines, just frustrating having to add something like this to a new laptop. Is there no cases that can be bought to fit this model which might soften the sharp edges?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
As for cases I have no idea, and I cant find any on the internet. I can come up with loads of ghetto solutions but they all mean you have to lug something else around with the laptop or would really impair the functionality.

If you have the tools I would be seriously thinking about rounding that edge off... Do you just have the standard warranty? or did you pay to extend it at all? if its just standard then I'd crack out the tool box myself. But I know exactly why you might not want to.

Sorry I can't be more helpful...

PokerFace

Banned
Have had my new laptop for 2 days and my wife and I are having issues with the sharp edges of the laptop. Our wrists and palms are raw already.

Would THESE be an option? It might also help in the event that the laptops get very hot.

Or, how about keeping a wrist band (like tennis players wear) in your laptop bag. You could slip it on if your wrist is getting a bit sore and it wouldn't take up much room at all.

You could go down the piece of foam/padding route just at home.

tomwit

I've just received an Ultranote II and have exactly the same problem.

Did you find a workaround for it?

I'm thinking of adding some single sided foam tape (couple of quid on ebay) as my first line solution.

al355

Have the same issue with Ultranote, seems like terrible ergonomic design. Looks like a lot of people are having the same issue with Macbooks and some resort to filing the edge. I've gone for a similar approach to tomwit, bought some self adhesive tennis racket foam.