Good Horror/Thriller movies

DT87

Gold Level Poster
I find this Genre very hit and miss in terms of horror films anyway,Well tbh more miss lol

So list some ones you like :)

How old the film is,is irrelevant.

Spuff

Expert
I watch a lot of horror films. I watch all the ones I haven't seen, and often ones I have already seen, that get shown on TV on Friday and Saturday nights. And if there isn't one on I look to hire one on-line.
If you watch as many as I do most of what you watch will be low budget films.
There is only one horror film I've seen recently that I didn't enjoy (I can't remember the title). I like them all to a greater or lesser extent.

My favourite of all time is The Shining.

The best horror film made in the last few years is Insidious, and the sequel is good too.

Last edited:

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
The Conjuring
Let me In (swedish version)
Bad Milo

So many good horrors recently. Don't even get me started on Thrillers!

Spuff

Expert
Another excellent one is Let the Right One In (opt for the original Swedish version). It depicts how a vampire might actually operate in the world and it has the truly great 'I'm twelve...I've been twelve for a very long time' moment.

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
Another excellent one is Let the Right One In (opt for the original Swedish version). It depicts how a vampire might actually operate in the world and it has the truly great 'I'm twelve...I've been twelve for a very long time' moment.

That be the film I meant :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The thing (original with Kurt Russel) is an absolute classic.1982 but don't let that put you off

Also event horizon is pure genius. 1997

And dog soldiers is the best British horror of all time. 2002

Alien is and always will be a true timeless classic along with the excorsist

Last edited:

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Wow SpyderTracks thats two of my all time favorites, its just a shame Paul W Anderson dropped the ball after that, i have no idea why he keeps getting work a couple of his Resident Evils arent too bad.

Horrors im loving recently have been

Oculus
The Paranormal Series
Two films called Grave Encounters 1 and 2
The Saw Series, except the last one, it doesn't exist as far as i'm concerned.
IT is my favorite classic horror or The Evil Dead.
My Favorited fun horror is Cabin in the Woods, look up the facts on that on it has many links to Left4Dead.
emm other shout out is The Conjouring and its got a spin off coming out soon called Annabelle.
The original Chucky series called Childs play, the new one isn't too bad but they get a bit silly as they go on.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The thing (original with Kurt Russel) is an absolute classic.1982 but don't let that put you off

Also event horizon is pure genius. 1997

And dog soldiers is the best British horror of all time. 2002

Alien is and always will be a true timeless classic along with the excorsist

My all time favourite although I'm not sure it comes under horror, but is incredibly twisted is Naked Lunch. William s Burroughs wrote it as a parody of his demise into heroin addiction, it's a truly dark but impressive film.

DT87

Gold Level Poster
Any of you guys seen Martyrs? i found that pretty harsh lol by my standards xD

Love to know more/Also hear some of the thrillers that FusRoDuh was referring to :)

LoupiLo

This film still gets to me

[video=youtube;RYW3NyAPuMI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYW3NyAPuMI[/video]

Incredibly dated, obs, but that makes it all the creepier. Just that damn music!

Spuff

Expert
One of my most enjoyed recent ones was Dead Snow 2.
At first I didn't think I'd get on with its level of humour but I quickly warmed to it and the humour gave a piqauncy to the well executed horror elements. Also, at the start I thought it was going to be a bit of a chore to read subtitles all the way, but it then introduces American characters and scenes with them in are in English and that's most of the film.

PeterW

Bronze Level Poster
Anyone seen ' It Follows ' yet , it's on my Octoberfest list , today I watched ' A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night ' , an Iranian Horror with a touch of the Western 8/10 and ' Stake Land ' another Zombie film but a good one 9/10 .

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If you like ridiculous and hilarious "horror" then I recommend the Dead Snow films. It's a Norwegian Nazi zombie movie which is a bit ridiculous and hilarious. It's not really horror but its kinda scary.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Horror is probably my favourite genre. Unfortunately it's also the hardest movie to make so options are very limited and completely subjective. However.... my favourites....

IT (Stephen King), getting remade soon. A little low on budget given that it's a TV movie, but the story is amazing.
The Descent & The Descent II - Probably the creepiest movies I've watched. The first one was the best as it set the scene. Went to see this with friends and one was chalk white when the movie finished.
Silence of the Lambs - Not sure if it'll stand the test of time but the Hannibal series is very good watching. Falls nicely into the Horror/Thriller category too.
The Shining - Likely needs no introduction, this one is an absolute classic and so well done.
The Fly (80s) & The Fly II - I preferred the 2nd one to the first but I was pretty young when I watched them so I may have it around the wrong way. Few notable scenes in both, good movies all round though.
The Mist - The film itself is entertaining enough, pretty good jumps in it. The ending is just absolutely mind blowing though, I was in true shock.
Jaws - Definitely needs no introduction, this is one of the best but it's unlikely that you haven't seen it. 2nd one is OK, after that forget it.
A Nightmare On Elm Street - It shows its age now but I still prefer the original to the remake. If you enjoy the first you'll likely enjoy the rest. This movie defined 80s horror.
American Psycho - This is a beauty of a film, I absolutely loved it. Christian Bale nails this role.
The Evil Dead Series - 1st and second are semi-serious horror/comedy. The third is just hilarious. I was a young teen watching these movies so I may be off base but I have good memories of them all. You don't really need to watch the 1st as the 2nd is just a bigger budget remake following the success of the 1st.
Poltergeist Series - Surprised these haven't had a mention. I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of the originals. The remake is completely nonsensical so just ignore it.
Ring (Ringu, Japanese version) - This is an amazing dark movie, the subsequent similar movies to come out of Japan were also brilliant. The English versions aren't as dark or atmospheric but they're OK if you don't like the subtitles

Most of my other favourites have been mentioned, Event Horizon, Alien Series, Let the right one in, etc. I wasn't a fan of the Conjuring though, I thought it was OK just nothing special.

swiftsnails

I heard that conjuring 2 is really good, i'm a big fan of horror movies since i was little. too bad my husband and kids doesn't like it

Sabalos

I'm not the greatest horror fan, but The Thing is a classic for a reason, and well worth seeing if you haven't. Alien unfortunately doesn't work as well as it used to, I think, but is still great and worth the time.

Green Room was a brilliant non-supernatural horror from just last year - touring DIY punk band accidentally finds themselves playing a gig at a white supremacist bar, get locked in the green room backstage when things go wrong.

I'm a fan of horror mixed with comedy as well, just because it's so incredibly difficult to do and only comes off very rarely. Most of them are either not funny enough, or just end up as comedy movies with horror makeup in the background. Cabin in the Woods is a good example already mentioned. Also:

Sightseers - a pair of oddball lovebirds go on a caravanning holiday around the UK, and kill people who annoy them.
Re-Animator - a great squishy-real (fans of Evil Dead take note) practical effects splatter 'comedy' from the mid-80s, with a career-making performance by Jeffrey Combs as the deranged re-animating scientist
Severance - a group of British office workers go on a team building exercise in Eastern Europe, are found by a group of psychopaths while staying in the woods

That might do for now.