Optimus V 15.6 Review

Keish

I have owned my Optimus V 15.6 for a couple of weeks now, and have now had some time to test it out in areas what I wanted it for.

Ordering
My first impressions of the laptop and the ordering process are great! The ordering process was easy, I called up to add on dead pixel cover and was also informed that my laptop had already been built after 2 working days of placing the order. I was expecting to wait 3 or so weeks for my order but it arrived about 5 working days after I placed it, which was really impressive!

Setting up
Upon receiving the computer I had a quick test and then installed my copy of windows 7, installing the drivers etc was a bit annoying as the disk provided says it is not compatible with the OS. Other users have had this, you have to manually click every driver to install, and I also had to locate and download some drivers to get it all up and running. This took some time about an evening or two later it was almost ready.

Design
The laptop itself, I think is quite an attractive design, fairly basic but sturdy. The backlit keyboard really stands out and gives it a slick premium feel, and is probably my favourite design point. The keyboard feels great to type on and the touchpad is also responsive. The LED lights also tell you which GPU you are using which I like, though I cannot get the VGA button to work which is supposed to switch between GPUs.

Display & Sound
The display is very nice, it is bright & crisp. There is plenty of detail and getting used to the 1080p screen was interesting as everything appears smaller, but I gain a lot of workspace. The matte screen also means it is possible to work better in brightly lit conditions and the screens brightness goes up fairly high. The speakers in the laptop, are well, laptop speakers. They do what I expect, I can watch a movie or program on them, I can listen to music, and they’re loud enough. Of course being laptop speakers there is a lack of bass, but you can use external speakers at home etc.

Performance
So far the performance is snappy, I have tested programs I use quite a lot such as Photoshop and Illustrator and put it through some tasks. The CPU handles it all fine and boots up programs quickly. I have also briefly tried out the GPU, had a go playing Far Cry 2, Assassins Creed Black flag and a bit of RCT3. All the games I have played have been set on Max or High settings, and I have had no issues at all. I do not really have time to game too much, but I like to have the option. After buying from dell a second time, I sent it back as the CPU was terrible. I then found PCS and bought this, the most powerful laptop I have owned and it has not let me down yet.
The battery life seems fairly good with 3 – 4 hours use, of browsing or watching videos, which is fine for me, as I normally have the a/c near anyway.

Any questions feel free to ask..

pic1.jpgPic1.jpgPic2.jpgpic5.jpg

Spec:
Chassis & Display Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ (2.50GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM): 8GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card: NONE
Memory - Hard Disk: 750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk: NONE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader: Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Bluetooth & Wireless: GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
USB Options: 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery: Optimus Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language BACKLIT OPTIMUS UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System: NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Notebook Mouse: INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam: INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty: 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Dead Pixel Guarantee NONE

Change to: 1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
Insurance NONE
Delivery 2 DAY DELIVERY TO CHANNEL ISLANDS (VAT EXCLUSIVE)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 11 to 13 working days
Miscellaneous FREE £90 IN-GAME VOUCHER with GTX 650 / 750 /7000M / 8000M Series GPUs
Pricing Information
Price £606.67

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    769.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited: