DDR3 RAM to go down in price?

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Now that DDR4 is out - are we expecting DDR3 to drop significantly? Obviously the way technology goes there will most likely be a price drop eventually... the question is by how much. I want to buy some new RAM but I'm happy to wait a few months longer if it means a decent saving :)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
*looks at sig and considers asking why 32GB isn't enough. In the end thinks better of it and presumes it for another machine...*

I think RAM is fairly cheap as it is, you may see a reduction as people look to offload stock when DDR4 becomes a 'real' thing as more people buy into it, but that's unlikely to be soon as no mainstream boards use it. (yet)

DDR3 will drop for sure, but enough to put off buying it, probably not. Until DDR4 is cheap enough to be the new go to choice that is.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Hmmmm, OK then. I don't need more RAM. I just want to change the RAM I do have to the Corsair Dominator Platinum. Then I want to add blue light strips to them :) I'll see how much money I have left at the end of the month and then may invest. 16GB to start with... can I use my current Samsung RAM with it? They'd be different speeds but that shouldn't matter as I believe it just runs at the speed of the slowest one - but do they need to be the same brand? I'll probably try sell the old RAM :)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Modern boards are quite good at mixing and matching various type of RAM, can't say it will definitely work but it should do. It will just run everything at the speed of the slowest modules. Ideally you buy matched kits, so if you want 32Gb you buy a 32Gb kit, that way they are guaranteed to work. Otherwise they could have issues, but probably wont, even if matching brands.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Sweet. Yeah ultimately the goal is to end up with the same RAM, I was just thinking two 16GB kits of identical RAM to spread costs...

mishra

Rising Star
DDR3 will drop for sure, but enough to put off buying it, probably not. Until DDR4 is cheap enough to be the new go to choice that is.
I'm not so sure. When DDR3 came out DDR2 prices did not initially go down in price. Then when DDR3 become standard DDR2 was actually more expensive than DDR3 (sic).
Same applies to CPUs, having newer generation available does not mean lowering prices on the previous gen CPUs (?!).

I hope you are correct as I could really do with more RAM, yet I've been holding off from buying waiting for prices to go down and they are almost the same as they were 2 years ago (sic).