Vortex IV 15.6 BIOS after Windows reinstallation

nitchee

Hey all, I recently reinstalled windows 7 on my Vortex IV 15.6" (which I bought last year, and hadn't cleaned) as a SSD/HDD combo, and I was wondering whether I need to upgrade/flash BIOS at all. The laptop seems to be working fine - getting the drivers was quite annoying, but all seems to be in order except for the wifi, which doesn't work at all if I wake the laptop up from sleep. It never happened to me before I reinstalled Windows a few days ago, and the drivers for the LAN/WIFI seem to be up to date. But the SSD makes restarts a breeze, and the WIFI works after that.

However, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to update my BIOS - is there a new version for the Vortex IV 15.6"? As I said, installing the drivers on this computer was haphazard this time, seeing as this is a bit of a mish-mash computer, rather than one made by one company, such as Dell. It works fine, but there's a part of me that thinks I haven't done everything.

In case anyone else has had the weird "No wifi after sleep" combo, I would appreciate your help. I've tried checking the boxes regarding power management in device manager, reinstalling drivers, and disabling IPv6. No luck so far, but would appreciate any thoughts on the matter! :)

Thanks in advance!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I would try contacting PCS technical support for advice on drivers and available bios updates

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
You can get drivers in the download section of your account, or on the disk supplied with the machine. Might be worth trying the LAN one from that before you try flashing the BIOS, because if it was working fine before it's unlikely to need a BIOS flash to fix it.

nitchee

I've installed the LAN, the WLAN, and the optional Realtek ones, to no avail. It works superbly straight after the laptop is turned on, but as soon as it's awoken after sleep mode, the adapter seems to be completely turned off, and I'm not sure if there is a way to boot it without restarting the whole laptop. The troubleshooting diagnostic doesn't help.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Do you have the normal wireless icon in the bottom corner when it wakes up, or is it gone?

nitchee

Just sorted it - I had the Windows 8 hotkey driver installed instead of the Windows 7 one - strangely, that fixed the wifi problem. Now I wonder whether I have any other drivers intended for Windows 8 installed on my Windows 7 by accident, though everything seems to be in order... for now!

(Oh, the icon turned to the one with the red cross, and when clicked, says "no connections" or something to that extent)

zalmoxis

Bronze Level Poster
Just sorted it - I had the Windows 8 hotkey driver installed instead of the Windows 7 one - strangely, that fixed the wifi problem. Now I wonder whether I have any other drivers intended for Windows 8 installed on my Windows 7 by accident, though everything seems to be in order... for now!

(Oh, the icon turned to the one with the red cross, and when clicked, says "no connections" or something to that extent)

When you see the icon like that it usually means two things:

1) Your wireless card is disabled. As in the actual hardware, it's disabled computer-wide, no matter the OS. This is usually the case if you use the hotkey to disable wireless on your keyboard. It happens to me all the time to disable it with the hotkey in Windows then do a restart into Linux and still have it disabled.

2) Your wireless adapter is disabled. You need to right click the icon, go to networking properties, find the adapter (it will be greyed out too), right click it and Enable it. This, although inconvenient, might be a dirty fix as opposed to a full restart, if it ever happens again, seeing as you say you solved it.