Gtx 980m

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Jesus, so it looks like the unconfirmed benchmarks were actually pretty accurate... I can't believe those framerates at 1600p, that's v impressive.

Agreed, i've been checking the configurator all day hoping to see it show up. Really hoping for a Vortex 5 to show up too.

ELL4EVER

Bronze Level Poster
m1HB-sX8.jpeg

mrducking

Bright Spark
based on those benchmarks i really want to see how good is the gtx 960m, based on the gtx 980m and gtx970m benchmarks the gtx 960m may be better than the 870m :D :D that would be awesome for a medium range :D where are you gtx 960m ?!?!?!

Danny boy

Bronze Level Poster
I've just asked the customer support team they are waiting for stock to come in so it shouldn't be too long going to hold out. That was stock of the 980m sli.

Last edited:

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
"bumping the resolution up to 3,840x2,160, the GeForce GTX 980M gave us 14.6 frames per second in Metro: Last Light and 41.6 frames per second in BioShock Infinite." - at high settings

That's pretty darn impressive. But I'm also starting to think it's pretty pointless having that power in a 60Hz 1080p laptop screen. Will the Vortex V have higher res screens???

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
"bumping the resolution up to 3,840x2,160, the GeForce GTX 980M gave us 14.6 frames per second in Metro: Last Light and 41.6 frames per second in BioShock Infinite." - at high settings

That's pretty darn impressive. But I'm also starting to think it's pretty pointless having that power in a 60Hz 1080p laptop screen. Will the Vortex V have higher res screens???

I imagine the high end chassis will all have at least 1440p screens at the refresh, a lot of gaming laptops are now heading for 2k screens, still not sure 4k is ready for mainstream gaming.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
As much as I'd love an upgrade... and as much as it pains me that my 680m is now going to be 3 generations behind the latest models... my 680m is still playing all the latest releases at 60fps on high settings. Some of the settings aren't on the ultra max mode but I can't tell that. Shadow of Mordor looks glorious for example!

Disappointingly I can't justify it to myself until at least something makes my 680m crawl to a grinding halt, which I can't really foresee for at least another couple of years.

Plus I'm still saving ready to get a desktop beast to 4k edit and game on when I move house and get an office, so my laptop gaming is eventually going to halt soon... still... 980m... mmmmm....

TomB

Unfortunately guys it will still be a long wait I'm afraid, I've just asked the sales team on live support for any further info and the answer was November at the earliest.
I'm assuming that the cards aren't the issue, maybe testing and QC(ing) the new chassis' for distribution?

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Yeah i think you might be correct, pretty sure that PCS is an approved Nvidia partner so they perhaps have the cards already just waiting for their Chassis manufacturers to step up now.

I know MSI have there chassis ready and i did think that PCS sold MSI laptops too, i might be wrong.

I was a few tweets from an american computer company pointing EU customers towards PCS for the MSI chassis.

ELL4EVER

Bronze Level Poster
Had a look round most of the custom gaming laptop websites and only a handful of them were advertising the 980m and 970m. However most of the websites that use Clevo chassis were still just advertising the 800m series so I'm guessing Clevo is causing the delay at the moment.

ELL4EVER

Bronze Level Poster
Just checked Sager website and they have the 900m series in what looks like the old chassis.

mrducking

Bright Spark
Just checked Sager website and they have the 900m series in what looks like the old chassis.

i checked after you and even though the 980m is listed to buy, if you read the small letters to the side it says "ETA end of october", so im betting on november

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
Guys, do you think it's worth waiting for the new Broadwell Intel chip set to come in spring 2015?
I'm thinking it would go best with the new Maxwell gpus.

I REALLY want a nice gaming pc but seriously there's always new coming up and outdating the previous thing.

RAAAAAAAAAGE

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Guys, do you think it's worth waiting for the new Broadwell Intel chip set to come in spring 2015?
I'm thinking it would go best with the new Maxwell gpus.

I REALLY want a nice gaming pc but seriously there's always new coming up and outdating the previous thing.

RAAAAAAAAAGE

IMO I dont think the new CPU architecture will bring much improvement to gaming so i wouldn't bother waiting for that, i'd wait for the 900m series but not the new CPU's.

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
MSI GT72 Dominator Pro with gtx 980m is already for sale on ebay. also comes with 32gb ram which is enough to give to the poor. 1tb hdd 7200 rpm + 128 ssd
with postage it would be about £1550 from America! also, there's no import charge on it! :O
is it for reals?