Optimus V 13.3" Review

jacmur692

Hello All,

I've been lurking about the forum awhile now planning to get new laptop that would fill my needs for general Uni work, CAD, and light gaming. I originally began asking advice almost a year ago on the 15" optimus model! But due to lack of funds and other priorities it kept getting pushed back. Now that i've begun my uni course i really needed a new laptop that would cope with all the tasks i wanted to throw at it!
The chosen spec is as follows:

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 13.3" Matte Full HD LED IPS Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ (2.50GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M - 2.0GB DDR5, 640 CUDA Cores - DirectX® 11
1st Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
M.2 SSD Drive
120GB Kingston SSDNow mS200 mSATA (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
13.3" Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (62.16WH)
Power Cable
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language
13.3" OPTIMUS SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 8.1 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
30 Day Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
FAST TRACK 5 WORKING DAY DISPATCH

Processed Date 18-09-2014
Build Date 18-09-2014
Test Date 19-09-2014
QC Date 20-09-2014
Awaiting Dispatch Date 20-09-2014
Dispatch Date 26-09-2014

Ordering/Delivery:
I'm very impressed with PCS, I selected 5day dispatch as i needed the laptop before my course started and was very happy to see that the laptop was ready for dispatch 3days after the order! Now, I did wonder whether this was rushed and i could soon find a fault with the laptop but from my later notes you see this isn't the case. Initially I set a delivery date for Friday 26th as this was the only day i would be at home. That Friday i woke up early to find that had actually set a dispatch date!! I quickly phoned PCS as soon as they opened and they quickly helped me out, setting the order to one side for collection. Luckily the order hadn't gone! I was then able to have the laptop all setup over the weekend ready for my first day. (Yesterday)
Simple to use and great customer service = 10/10

Setup/First Impressions:
I had downloaded all the required drivers and my copy of programs all the week before dispatch so i was ready for the setup. This was much much easier than i was expecting! I was expecting to spend a good couple hours installing drivers but once i had set up windows 8 all what was left was to install a few such as the GPU, speakers and card reader. As well as updating the wireless card. I haven't had any problems with the laptop, its running quick and boots up in seconds. Very Impressed!
10/10

Chassis/Performance:
From what i've read from some other reviews the chassis seems be of cheap build quality, dodgy USB inputs and fan noises so i want to give my input. Firstly, the screen. Well i've read a lot of good things about this panel and none of them were wrong! Very crisp 1080p screen! Prefer the matte screen over my previous glossy one and view angles are pretty good! I've read about flex and yes there is a little, bit it is VERY little! Nothing that bothers me. The unbranded style of the laptop is something i really quite like about this also. None of the USB ports seem to have a dodgy connection like I have read in some places so again this is good.
I was expecting the fan to be fairly loud but not that bad, not as loud as a hoover anyway like i've read! It has only ever gone to max speed during games, other wise it stays very minimal. The only game i have run so far on it is Skyrim, I'm not much of a gamer, and I'm especially new to PC gaming. I will test AC4 and skyrim properly at a later date and get temps then but a quick run of skyrim should it good quite easily handle it with mods installed at ultra.
The only cons I came across was the trackpad and speakers. Starting with the speakers, it was down to the incorrect audio drivers. By installing the soundblaster driver the quality isn't all that bad from what i would expect from a laptop, so i wont deduct points off my final score for this. The trackpad however isnt the most responsive i've seen from a laptop, i've had to up the cursor speed to improve this but it's still not as good as some much cheaper laptops i've owned in the past. Its not really too much of an issue, sutible for browser use, when it comes to CAD i will be using a mouse.
In all the chassis and general performance i would give this: 8.5/10

Im very pleased with my purchase, couldnt have asked for better service and the price compared to branded laptops is amazing!!! Hopefully this laptop will last me quite some time. I will be recommending PCS to friends and family!
Overall I give this laptop 9/10

Any questions I will be happy to try and help :)

Jack

Attachments

• IMG_20140926_205805.jpg
    IMG_20140926_205805.jpg
    862.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_20140926_205826.jpg
    IMG_20140926_205826.jpg
    924.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_20140926_205834.jpg
    IMG_20140926_205834.jpg
    718.3 KB · Views: 202

Aboikos

Thanks for this review. I have ordered almost the same setup: no msata and 1tb sshd + are adding an ssd and one more 1*8 gb hyperx ram that I already own. I haven't received it yet, so I'm just trying to satisfy my curiousness by scovering the forums for posts like this. I have also very good experiences with PCS, so far. Excellent telephone support service and the fast track purchase seems to be sprinting ahead. Congratulations on a good purchase, I am very excited to receive mine soon!