Defective Sandy Bridge Chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike87

Personally im going to use Sata 0 and 1 for optical, and my controller for SSD and Storage drive...

So im sat happy.

Ah thats good, that is what I will do. There is 4 SATA 6GB ports on the P8P67 PRO, SATA 0 and 1, and 2 on the Marvell controller which you said was unaffected?

MayheM_MakeR

Bronze Level Poster
wait im confused, its the chipset on the motherboards which are defective?, i ordered this pc, its still in the processing stage, so am i affected if i was to go ahead with this order?

many thanks in advance

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz @ max 4.60GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® P8P67 PRO: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, CrossFireX™ / SLI SUPPORT
Memory (RAM)
4GB KINGSTON HYPER-X SPECIAL EDITION GREY - DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX560Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX560Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TX SERIES (TX750) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£89)
Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£59)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 11 to 13 working days
Quantity

Last edited:

DSN

Enthusiast
Ah thats good, that is what I will do. There is 4 SATA 6GB ports on the P8P67 PRO, SATA 0 and 1, and 2 on the Marvell controller which you said was unaffected?

There is nothing suggesting that they ARE affected. 0 and 1 are confirmed ok.

And the controller does not use the cougar.. so i think we can assume safe for now unless we hear otherwise.

MayheM_MakeR

Bronze Level Poster

And the controller does not use the cougar.. so i think we can assume safe for now unless we hear otherwise.

ok, but just for peace of mind, if i was indeed to go ahead with that order on the pc i choosen, would i be affected?, since i dont fancy spending 1300 quid for something which may or may not be defective

Mike87

Well that sounds fine to me, if it stays like that then im not that bothered. Ill only ever have 1 DVD drive, 1 HDD and 1 SSD (in the future) connected. Good stuff :p

SgtSteel

Bronze Level Poster
As far as i know, i have 4 sata 6gb/s and 4 3gb/s in my new sandy bridge build, what ones are possibly defective? as above poster said, i have years of savings on this and failure doesn't sound great.

Mike87

As far as i know, i have 4 sata 6gb/s and 4 3gb/s in my new sandy bridge build, what ones are possibly defective? as above poster said, i have years of savings on this and failure doesn't sound great.

I believe from reading other posts its only the 3gb/s ones that are effected. 6gb/s ones are fine.

Ansab001

Bronze Level Poster
To me this is a blessing in disguise. Am i dissapointed my rig wont be here in the week? ofcourse, but i rather get a full product with no defects. I always say people get to excited to get their comps asap. Thats great but it adds unnecessary pressure to PCS. Becasue their doing things faster they may make humen errors. So if am now looking for ealy march to get my rig that is perfectly fine with me. It also gives me the opportunity to change the SSD to the 3rd gen inters (if they are better than the OCZ drives). So when PCS contact me i'll let them know. I feel realy sorry for these guys because it gives them a hell of a headache.

SgtSteel

Bronze Level Poster
Hold on, the error is that 5% of chipsets will have deteriation in their 3 gb/s sata ports after a time of like three years, correct?

Ansab001

Bronze Level Poster
it actually depends on alot more factors. 5% could be after 1 year
20% could be after 2 and so on.

Anthony.Ralph

Bronze Level Poster
To me this is a blessing in disguise.

[..]

It also gives me the opportunity to change the SSD to the 3rd gen inters (if they are better than the OCZ drives). So when PCS contact me i'll let them know. I feel realy sorry for these guys because it gives them a hell of a headache.

Actually, that point about the new SSDs crossed my mind too... and the fact that through no fault of their own, PCS now have a substantial piece of crisis management to perform.

Anthony.

Sleinous

Author Level
Can I just say that less than 5% of the chipsets are reported to be faulty :p This is 95% AMD propaganda from Tom :p

Status
Not open for further replies.