Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Androcles

Rising Star
It's an abomination, and an absolutely atrocious pile of rubbish, from a lore perspective that is, Middle Earth Enterprises/Saul Zaentz really need to take the license away from WB, they're ruining the whole IP.

Reviews? Bribes more like.

steaky360

It's an abomination, and an absolutely atrocious pile of rubbish, from a lore perspective that is, Middle Earth Enterprises/Saul Zaentz really need to take the license away from WB, they're ruining the whole IP.

Reviews? Bribes more like.

Outside the lore thing though, is it actually any good? It does look appealing, if it plays well and has an interesting storyline (regardless or lore) then imo it is certainly going to be worth it!

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
As a game its fantastic all be it a bit repetitive, its basically just an Orc killing simulator.

Its like batman but the fights actually co on for a long long long time. Theres a couple of locations i have come to and they just keep running in, its a lot of fun i wish batman had an unlimited fight mode.

It looks beautiful the story is pretty good and the voice acting is amazing.

The captains and bosses etc can give you a really hard time, i havent noticed a difficulty setting but some of the captains have embarrassed me with a one hit kill with me at full health. Its a good challenge.

DED said yesterday that a message poped up on his screen saying i had avenged his death so if a steam friend died it tells others so you can go take revenge on that orc.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
It did indeed :)

Also, why is it an abomination from a lore perspective? I have been a massive fan of Tolkien for 20 years and I don't see a problem with it. It is another story that doesn't impinge on anything done outside of it.

Middle Earth and Tolkien's world is massive, and cannot possibly have all its history contained in a few books. Things like this are just fun and lend another layer to the wider tales of ME. Tolkien can't write anymore about his world, so better someone takes new angles and approaches than just leaves it static forever :)

Oh, and it is a fun game too, but as Smoke says, it can get pretty challenging. I don't think it is Dark Souls hard, but it is that more unforgiving game I have played in ages :) oh, and it has Gollum :D

Androcles

Rising Star
Just to start with Wraith powers, humans using magic etc. is completely breaking lore, Tolkien was quite clear that humans could not use magic, there was a whole section about it in his further writings, and before anyone says "but Gandalf...", Gandalf was not Human he was Maiar, a spirit race from the beginning of time that protect middle earth from Valar that have become evil (Sauron).

I admit it's a good game if you shut off from the lore of it, but where Tolkiens work is concerned I can't do that.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
But in human form he has no powers when ever magic is used its in Wrath form so far and the ring wraths themselves were human men, i thought that was how it linked in.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Maybe the deals thread isnt the best place to discuss it, but I thought his wraith using magic form was actually an elf...and they use magic like it is going out of fashion :)

Androcles

Rising Star
Maybe the deals thread isnt the best place to discuss it, but I thought his wraith using magic form was actually an elf...and they use magic like it is going out of fashion :)

And that's another lore breaker, Elven souls transcend upon death, they do not linger and cannot be trapped, and thus they could not become ring wraiths, hence why the nine ring wraiths were the nine human kings and not the elven kings, it's all in Tolkiens further writings.

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
Just to start with Wraith powers, humans using magic etc. is completely breaking lore, Tolkien was quite clear that humans could not use magic, there was a whole section about it in his further writings, and before anyone says "but Gandalf...", Gandalf was not Human he was Maiar, a spirit race from the beginning of time that protect middle earth from Valar that have become evil (Sauron).

I admit it's a good game if you shut off from the lore of it, but where Tolkiens work is concerned I can't do that.

Wholeheartedly agree with you, the entire game is an abomination of Tolkienesque lore and the environments, ugh.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Problem is "can't happen" when talking about a fantasy setting doesn't really work. Just because it never happened in Tolkien's writings, doesn't mean it CAN'T happen :) And I am pretty sure there isn't much actual visual some from Tolkien to go on for every part of ME, so some creative license will always be needed. 'Sonly a game after all :)

Androcles

Rising Star
Problem is "can't happen" when talking about a fantasy setting doesn't really work. Just because it never happened in Tolkien's writings, doesn't mean it CAN'T happen :) And I am pretty sure there isn't much actual visual some from Tolkien to go on for every part of ME, so some creative license will always be needed. 'Sonly a game after all :)

The elves not being able to become wraiths is actually firmly embedded in the canon that includes the further writings of Tolkien, it's one of the many things he set in stone. Tolkien was very forthright about what could and couldn't be changed, which is why the Tolkien Estate ends up suing one or more companies multiple times a year, in fact they successfully won against WB and MEE recently for exactly this in one of their other LotR games lol

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Made a thread for Shadow of Mordor and moved the posts from the PC Game Deals thread.

The game does look pretty good though. Will wait for the el cheapo steam sale though, begrudge paying full price for games now

[video=youtube;VBPmkfu_zs8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=VBPmkfu_zs8[/video]

Last edited:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I never watch those videos because I can't get my head around how they can be so long! How can someone talk about SoM for 52minutes!? :D

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I never watch those videos because I can't get my head around how they can be so long! How can someone talk about SoM for 52minutes!? :D

I expect it makes him a nice little earner. Who wouldn't like to play video games for a living?

adator

Enthusiast
Personally I find it a brilliant game definitely worth getting, I completed the story last night but still have loads to do on it. It's just so fun to make the captains do your work for you and also so fun getting revenge on that captain that managed to kill you earlier. Probably my favorite game this year.

Deklore

Bright Spark
Im still in two minds on whether to get this game now or wait for a sale. Looks a lot of fun but not sure if its £30 worth of fun...