Defective Sandy Bridge Chipset - Update 1

Steve78

So a possibility of a real problem then :)

The 5% figure by Intel is just a conservative figure. They will never come out and say 25%, 35% or 75% as they simply don't know how many people this could affect. They've also upped the cost to $1bn dollars. This is a very big issue...

Gorman

Author Level
What will happen to the dodgy motherboards? I'm just curious as I don't want to wait now and come April order a new system and have one installed in that without me knowing! (not to say that you would) :p

I would imagine they will be replaced 1 for 1 by our suppliers for working models or by the board makers. Pure speculation of course.

What happens to them from there who knows.

kassym

IF i go ahead with option 4 and install a PCI/PCI-E card with additional ports, would I be able to install Wi-Fi reciever later on?

Cheers

Gorman

Author Level
Hi Kassym, as far as i can tell yes, but all devices would have to be PCI-e as your board does not have any PCI slots.

kassym

Hi Kassym, as far as i can tell yes, but all devices would have to be PCI-e as your board does not have any PCI slots.

my order is 376393.

I am about to go ahead with option 4, could you please double check with my specs and advise me on how I can install a wi-fi later on?
Cheers.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Just another quick question, if i put my order on hold will the price be held at the price i paid originally or will there be differences when the new mobo's become available as im guessing the price of other parts will change in the 3 months its on hold?

There will be no extra cost to our customers who put their orders on hold. :)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the speedy email and options my question is this (mind you my motherboard knowledge is very low) how can I not be affected ?

ASUS® P8P67: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, CrossFireX™ SUPPORT
Memory (RAM)
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
4x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ROM (£38)

From what I understand I'll need 3 slots one for HDD 2 for the disk drives.

Shouldn't I be affected as I'll need to use one of the 3gb slots which may die (if I am wrong then I'll not have any problems with the 3gb slots as I'll not be adding anything else to it).

You will not be affected because your hard drive will be connected to the SATA 6GB/s port, leaving two free 3GB/s ports for your optical drives.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I intend to just keep my hdd and optical drive that is supplied with this order, and have no itentions at all of adding anymore HDD's or optical drives in the future, therefore its safe to assume that i wont experience any problems what so ever as long as i keep my original hdd and dvd drive?

as long as everything works fine and it is, i am going to go ahead with the order, since i have no itentions of adding more HDD's or Optical drives ;)

but if someone could just confirm , i would appreciate it :D

I can confirm that providing you do not connect your drives to SATA ports 2,3,4 or 5 (therefore use ports 0 and 1), you will not experience any issues relating to the issue Intel have announced.

Steve78

Update from ASUS:

Dear Partner

I would like to highlight a key temporary solution to this issue.

The following Asus P67 based motherboards have an additional 2 SATA6Gb/s ports on board which do NOT use the intel controller but a 3rd party one from Marvell, these ports in addition to ports 0 & 1 on the intel controller are NOT affected by the sandy bridge SATA issues, therefore the key message is that these ASUS sandybridge boards have 4 SATA 6Gb/s ports that will NOT develop the fault and can be used permanently with no issue.

MAXIMUS IV EXTREME

SABERTOOTH P67

P8P67 DELUXE

P8P67 EVO

P8P67 PRO

P8P67

Thanks

Asus

I still want a replacement board though :)

nitetime

RE: my order - 377260
Based on Vortex 1000 - uses the ASUS® P8P67 PRO mb.

Is it safe to say I won't have any problems then?

Gorman

Author Level
If anyone has a query about a particular machine please send me a private message including the order number and the question and i will do my best to respond. Responses are not guaranteed and will not be to any particular time scale.

Gorman

Author Level
RE: my order - 377260
Based on Vortex 1000 - uses the ASUS® P8P67 PRO mb.

Is it safe to say I won't have any problems then?

Not unless you want to expand in the future, but you will still have one unaffected 3Gb port spare.

Chances are very low you would experience the issue at all even with all the ports in use.

MayheM_MakeR

Bronze Level Poster
I can confirm that providing you do not connect your drives to SATA ports 2,3,4 or 5 (therefore use ports 0 and 1), you will not experience any issues relating to the issue Intel have announced.

awesome many thanks :D, now to just wait till it moves outta processing D:

SgtSteel

Bronze Level Poster
I'm going with the PCI card option (i'm getting a 8 SATA slot motherboard but might add alot in the future) How affected may i be?

Treb1a

I'm sure there must be an obvious answer to this, it's just I don't know what it is; Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the two additional 6Gb SATA Marvell controlled ports that Steve78 pointed out are available?

Cheers

Treb (I'm confused again!)

Crusty

awesome many thanks :D, now to just wait till it moves outta processing D:

If you've got a spare PCI slot, then why not take up the PCS offer to put in a 4 port SATA card free-of-charge. It'll give you what you were expecting and provide for future growth if needed. You could even take it out if you find all your 3Gb/S ports are actually performing OK.

MayheM_MakeR

Bronze Level Poster
If you've got a spare PCI slot, then why not take up the PCS offer to put in a 4 port SATA card free-of-charge. It'll give you what you were expecting and provide for future growth if needed. You could even take it out if you find all your 3Gb/S ports are actually performing OK.

not sure if i'll have one free, since i chose a SLI setup and the graphics cards i chose (gtx560) take up 2 pci slots

Gorman

Author Level
I'm sure there must be an obvious answer to this, it's just I don't know what it is; Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the two additional 6Gb SATA Marvell controlled ports that Steve78 pointed out are available?

Cheers

Treb (I'm confused again!)

SATA 6Gbs ports are not affected, different controller.