15.6" Defiance vs. 15.6" Vortex

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
For those looking to compare the two models:

comparison.jpg

McGreggor

Great to see some 4K panel options coming through! Will the Vortex also be getting a 4K option? - I'd rather have a GPU with 8GB RAM if I go 4K

Any time scales on matte option or 17" 4K panels?

Also, what are the M.2 connections available on these to models?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Great to see some 4K panel options coming through! Will the Vortex also be getting a 4K option? - I'd rather have a GPU with 8GB RAM if I go 4K

Any time scales on matte option or 17" 4K panels?

Also, what are the M.2 connections available on these to models?

There isn't a 4K panel planned for the Vortex models unfortunately and the 4K panels are only available in glossy.

The Vortex does not have M.2 but the Defiance has 3 ports (2 x M.2 2280 SSD Ports, 1 x M.2 2280 PCI-e Port). Furtherdetails are available on the "detailed specification" tab.

McGreggor

Regarding the non-removable battery in the defiance, is there now an intelligent battery controller that manages the charging? I.E something that allows for AC power to be connected all day, but prevents the battery from being charged once it's reached full capacity to prolong it's life?

adidan

Bronze Level Poster
Regarding the non-removable battery in the defiance, is there now an intelligent battery controller that manages the charging? I.E something that allows for AC power to be connected all day, but prevents the battery from being charged once it's reached full capacity to prolong it's life?
I was wondering this myself, I gave my GF my lenovo and there is a power management tool that never lets it charge beyond 59% when plugged in and has resulted in just 1% wear in over 2 years. Is there any similar software available for pcs laptops? Particularly important in laptops with non-removables like the defiance.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Doesn't charge beyond 59%? Doesn't that mean you get 41% less battery life when you use it without mains power?

adidan

Bronze Level Poster
Doesn't charge beyond 59%? Doesn't that mean you get 41% less battery life when you use it without mains power?
No, it only charges to 59% when plugged in if you set it to do so in the software - if you take it off straight away then yes you still just have 59%. However, you can just one click switch it in the software to full charge so it charges to 100% for when you're not going to be on mains power.

When I first saw it I thought it was a gimmick but after a couple of years and, a couple of different software monitors, it shows just 1% wear and no obvious loss in performance. That was from lots of switching between AC 59% max and fully charging to 100% for when I was taking it out and about.

I was hoping there would be some other version of this that I could use on a pcs laptop.

Last edited:

Crell

I'm looking for a 6GB 970 or 8GB 980 with a 3 k or 4 k 15 inch screen.

I can't find a laptop on the site (I thought I was there with the defiance 'till I saw the memory spec on the GPU) with this spec. Have I missed it? Any plans in the pipeline? Can anyone point me to any other laptops available with this spec?

Thanks

grimsbymatt

Enthusiast
I'm looking for a 6GB 970 or 8GB 980 with a 3 k or 4 k 15 inch screen.

I can't find a laptop on the site (I thought I was there with the defiance 'till I saw the memory spec on the GPU) with this spec. Have I missed it? Any plans in the pipeline? Can anyone point me to any other laptops available with this spec?

Thanks

There isn't such a laptop available on here right now.

Crell

There isn't such a laptop available on here right now.

Thanks. Would be interested to hear of an ETA. My perfect spec is the somewhere between the Defiance and the Vortex. Defiance style with the uprated GPU, Socket and at least 1 x 9.5mm HDD option. :(

grimsbymatt

Enthusiast
Going on what PCS has said in this forum and the options I can see in the configurator, it seems you can get the 6gb 970m in the 15 inch vortex 4, which has a 1080p screen. The option in the Defiance is the 3gb 970m and a 1080, 3k or 4k screen. Apparently a 17 inch Defiance will be released, but that only has a 1080p screen and there won't be a higher resolution screen released for the Vortex. I hope I got that right from memory.

Crell

Thanks again, I didn't realise the GPU was also soldered on the defiance mrducking, though I can't see me upgrading a 980 for a while though obviously helps with a HW failure. I've had a 17" laptop before grimsbymatt and I found it too bulky so I'm looking for something around 15". I've seen an MSI (though 17") with a closer spec but I just don't like the look of it (or MSIs in general).

Just seems like a bit of a waste to pair a 980 to a 1080 screen when the incremental cost is 40 quid to a 3k screen.

The Defiance is a nice looking chassis, it's just a shame it seems to limit it in a couple of important (for me) areas. I couldn't find a relative benchmark on the 4 and 8 GB 980m anywhere though.

mrducking

Bright Spark
i agree completely crell, i fell in love with the defiance but it has a lot of limitations, the fact that everything is soldered scares the crap out of me
and dont get me wrong, with PCS history im sure it's gonna be a super reliable laptop, but the fact of not having a "plan B" in case of some failure...
and lets face it, there is always some kind of failure

Retron

Silver Level Poster
Would it be possible to offer the Defiance with the Sharp screen rather than the Samsung one?

Sharp:
http://www.panelook.com/LQ156D1JX01_SHARP_15.6_LCM_overview_21688.html (as offered by some US resellers)

Samsung:
http://www.panelook.com/LTN156FL02-L01_SAMSUNG_15.6_LCM_overview_23360.html

The Samsung one is an RGBW panel rather than an RGB one - as in there are only two subpixels per pixel rather than three. It can also lead to a mustardy yellow rather than a proper yellow - see the various Lenovo threads on various forums for details!

I've ordered a 4K Defiance but I'd happily pay to switch to the Sharp panel.

grimsbymatt

Enthusiast
Would it be possible to offer the Defiance with the Sharp screen rather than the Samsung one?

Sharp:
http://www.panelook.com/LQ156D1JX01_SHARP_15.6_LCM_overview_21688.html (as offered by some US resellers)

Samsung:
http://www.panelook.com/LTN156FL02-L01_SAMSUNG_15.6_LCM_overview_23360.html

The Samsung one is an RGBW panel rather than an RGB one - as in there are only two subpixels per pixel rather than three. It can also lead to a mustardy yellow rather than a proper yellow - see the various Lenovo threads on various forums for details!

I've ordered a 4K Defiance but I'd happily pay to switch to the Sharp panel.

You need to contact PCS directly, they might not see this.