Overclocking Failed

silkysean

Bronze Level Poster
Start the PC. When the POST stalls and you set the "Overclock Failed" message, press the "F1" key - that will take you into BIOS. Don't change anything, just press the "F10" key to save and exit and the PC will reboot. See if that works and post back

Yep I did that and it boots to Windows. I don't get why this message keeps appearing though. It's doing my head in now!!

silkysean

Bronze Level Poster
No not yet, the new one (1302) is still in Beta and I don't want to void my PCS warranty. If I turn all settings back to default I don't get the cold start error, so it's something to do with one of the overclock settings, just don't know which one lol

Gorman

Author Level
So, we met a nice guy from Asus this afternoon. Its a known issue which is being worked on and we have been given a few tips which may help. The fix will come in the form of a BIOS update.

Not a clue when its being made availiable im afraid.

Gorman

Author Level
For tips and assistance with a BIOS update give us a shout on 0844 499 4000.

Updating the BIOS will not affect your warranty unless you somehow manage to brick the board. Its best to use the easy flash tool within bios.

silkysean

Bronze Level Poster
SOLVED

There seems to be a common issue with Asus boards and some XMP RAM running at 1600mhz. There is a bug where upon a cold boot, the RAM wants to revert back to 1333Mhz even though settings are at 1600Mhz, so it wont post. On shutting down and restarting, it then shows the 'Overclock Failed' message and you have to Save and Exit again before it will boot into Windows.

The simple tried and tested solution is to update to the new BIOS (1305) and reset CMOS. Worked perfectly for me.

Last edited:

Miracle362

Is there a button that allows me to reset the CMOS on Asus P8P67 Pro? And where can I download the 1305 version of BIOS? I checked on the official website and it only shows 1205 is the latest BIOS

silkysean

Bronze Level Poster
You can obtain the latest BIOS from here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578865

and to clear the CMOS on the PRO

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3. Keep the cap on pins 2-3 for about 5–10 seconds, then move the cap back to pins 1-2.

(The jumper switch is located near the bottom right of the motherboard as you look at it)

3. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.
4. Hold down the "Del" key during the boot process and enter BIOS setup to re-enter data.

*If the steps above do not help, remove the onboard battery and move the jumper again to clear the CMOS RTC RAM data. After the CMOS clearance, reinstall the battery.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20110109013000847&board_id=1&model=P8P67%20PRO&page=3&count=33