PCS Honest Game Reviews - Assassin's Creed Unity

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Assassin's Creed Unity

Price on purchase £32 from cdkeys.com (£50 on Uplay)

Gameplay 8.5/10
The gameplay of Assassin's Creed Unity is close to that of AC II, Brotherhood and Revelations, but has been enhanced in some ways. One main difference is there are no more of the follow missions, in which you aimlessly follow someone around and listen into their conversation. Instead of the old filler misisons there are more assassination missions, making the game feel a lot more like an assassin's Creed game, which the last two games failed to achieve.

The fighting in ACU has been changed quite a bit, there's no counter attack, which makes fighting multiple enemies a lot more difficult and encourages you to be more stealthy, making the assassination missions a lot more interesting. They have also added multiple ranged weapons and bombs. There's a smoke grenade, stun grenade, poison grenade and your phantom blade, the bombs are quite useful and I find myself using them very often to stealth past an area or to gain an advantage while fighting, unlike in other Assassin's Creed games when the bombs just felt like a gimmick they'd added and never ended up using them. The phantom blade is basically the replacement on throwing knifes, poison darts etc, it has standard blades which take 1 hit (usually) to kill a standard enemy and berserk blades which are the equivalent to the poison darts which used to make enemies attack their allies.

They have now added skills to the game, at the end of any mission (Storyline mission, Co-op mission, Assassin Contract, heist, etc) you are awarded skill points, these points can then be used to unlock certain skills, ranging from basic skills that you started with in previous Assassin's Creed games, such as double assassination, to new skills, such as lockpicking and an improved phantom blade.

Storyline 9/10 & Side Missions 7.5/10
The storyline in ACU is great, compared to AC4 and AC3 it's brilliant, it goes back to AC Brotherhood style story, where you're an actual Assassin. The story is enjoyable and the Assassination missions are a lot better now, there's a lot less hand holding and a lot more freedom given to you; you can choose how you approach an assassination, how to get in and out, you can create distractions and save civilians who will then help you fight.

The Side missions are rather good, all of the Assassin contracts are now unique, unlike in previous games in which they just repeated themselves and were very bland. In ACU they are actually enjoyable and I plan on doing them all, where as in previous Assassin's Creed games I just ignored them.

Graphics 8/10 & Performance 3/10
I'm running an AMD FX-6200 and an Nvidia 760 overclocked by 160 MHz (80 MHz factory overclock and another 80 MHz by myself), plus the memory is overclocked by 400 MHz, and I can just about run the game on low settings @ 1080p 30fps. I understand that these are below the requirements, but still, a 760 should be more than enough to run any game at 30fps on low. They obviously didn't spend much time optimizing the game, since a 760 should be able to run any new game on at least medium settings at 60fps (obviously dependent on the game, CPU etc), but this game barely manages low at 30 fps.

I can bare 30fps on a games if i have to, but the main issue is that the frame rate sometimes randomly drops to 10-20fps for ten seconds, at which point fighting and free running become impossible to do, which often leads to taking damage in fights. Even the pre-rendered videos barely manage 30fps.

However, the world looks beautiful, even on low settings the city looks very good and you can tell the art team put a lot of time into the city. I found that the low settings were quite strange, as some textures, such as clothing and weapons have very low resolution textures, but other items such as buildings and some furniture have very high resolution textures, I think this contributes to the random lag spikes, as there's no constant level of detail kept.

If your GPU is worse than a 760, then don't even bother trying to run the game, as you'll be very disappointed when you can't play it.

Sound 7/10
The Sound is pretty standard for any Assassin's Creed game, it's good, but nothing ground breaking. That's all there really is to say about the sound.

Co-op
The Co-op is a bit of a gamble, depending on who you're paired with it can be great, or awful, but that's not the games fault. When I've been in games with people who work together as a team it's been a great experience, one of my best in the Assassin's Creed series; when you're paired with people that just run out and get spotted and die, or just sit back and let you do all the work it's very frustrating, as the co-op missions are designed for multiple people and are therefore harder to do by yourself.

You can play the co-op missions by yourself, but I wouldn't recommend it, since they're harder than the standard missions.

Overall 8/10
The one thing that lets this game down is performance, other than that the game is brilliant. If you have a 760 or above, then go out and get this game. If you have less than a 760 then don't bother with this game, or if you did have a 760 but can't stand 30fps then the same applies.

If you've never played an Assassin's Creed game before then either play ACII onwards first or maybe just start at Black Flag, since that's pretty good for people who haven't played before, then go out and get this game.

As an Assassin's Creed game this is brilliant, it's just a shame about performance issues.

Note: Just in case anyone with nvidia cards is having trouble running the game due to lag spikes then go onto the Nvidia control panel and change the "Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames" setting from 1 to 2, it stops the majority of lag spikes and makes it run much smoother

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Great review. I would have given a lower score due to the performance issues you experienced though

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Great review. I would have given a lower score due to the performance issues you experienced though

Yeah, the performance is definitely an issue, but everything else is great. Hopefully they fix the performance issues in the near future, then it'd definitely be my game of the year.

I guess my overall score might be a little bias due to the fact I've played all the Assassin's Creed, so I guess if you never played them before/weren't a fan then deduct a point off the overall score

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Had it been me, I'd have probably given half the score you gave. I think the whole idea is tired out completely, Black Flag looked to be something new and now its just running around a big city again.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Had it been me, I'd have probably given half the score you gave. I think the whole idea is tired out completely, Black Flag looked to be something new and now its just running around a big city again.

They've added a fair bit in this, the combat has been reworked, new skill system, better missions, plus Paris looks brilliant, genuinely the best looking city created in a video game that I've ever seen.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
They've added a fair bit in this, the combat has been reworked, new skill system, better missions, plus Paris looks brilliant, genuinely the best looking city created in a video game that I've ever seen.

They say they have reworked the system every time though. And its gotta be Hong Kong in Sleeping Dogs for me, that city is beautiful. The Metro games also have a beautiful view on post-apocalyptic Moscow.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
They say they have reworked the system every time though. And its gotta be Hong Kong in Sleeping Dogs for me, that city is beautiful. The Metro games also have a beautiful view on post-apocalyptic Moscow.

Yeah, this time it's been re-worked a bit more, especially since you can now use spears, axes and rifles. I've never played Sleeping Dogs, but I've played Metro and love it, I bought Metro 2033 Redux and it was worth every penny, even just for the excuse to go back and play it again :)

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
Yeah, this time it's been re-worked a bit more, especially since you can now use spears, axes and rifles. I've never played Sleeping Dogs, but I've played Metro and love it, I bought Metro 2033 Redux and it was worth every penny, even just for the excuse to go back and play it again :)

Metro 2033 - drool. Great review btw George. +rep

I hope these become a regular thing, seeing peoples opinions and rationale give's a nice alt viewpoint.

randommonicle

Gold Level Poster
I am torn between this and far cry 4, as I get to choose one with the 980. I have heard assassins creed currently has a plethora of bugs, and is encountering most of this on nvidea systems. Have they been patched out? Or does it still have the problems?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
From what I've heard, Far Cry 4 is currently in a much better state on the PC while many of the performance issues still exist on Assassin's Creed. But both are Ubisoft so I can't buy them until they sort out their games before release.

Pleb

Silver Level Poster
I think it depends on your PC regarding performance issues. I have only had the game crash once, and that was when the game switched to the browser in AC Initiates and then back again. Other than that I have had no problems whatsoever and if it wasn't for everyone going on about how crappy the game looks or handles I wouldn't have any idea that there had been any problems.

Personally I would give the game an overall 9/10, only missing out on a 10/10 for the lack of a proper modern day experience. The rift missions are okay but very repetitive and I would rather have seen some more of the modern day events rather than just reading/hearing about it.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
As I said before not everyone has problems it's been fine for me and I have a GTX 980.

Yeah, but your 980 is a lot more powerful than a 760. But a mid range card like a 760 should still be able to run it on medium/high settings.

The issue is due to a bug that causes a large queue to build up, therefore causing lag spikes