Feedback on 15.6" New Model?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Out of interest...

If we were to offer a 15.6" Lafite with 840M/850M - same silver colour and design in May/June time - would anybody consider this? Would it be preferred over the 15.6" Cosmos? What about in grey/black colour?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Out of interest...

If we were to offer a 15.6" Lafite with 840M/850M - same silver colour and design in May/June time - would anybody consider this? Would it be preferred over the 15.6" Cosmos? What about in grey/black colour?

I would personally be very interested from a business perspective. The 14" is just a little small for office use, but the chassis is spot on for our requirements of portability but strength as we go from customer to customer in an industrial setting. My preference would always be with the silver chassis, personally, but having more choice can't be a bad thing.

MegaLeon

Out of interest...

I would definitely be interested. Cosmos is a very good laptop, but I find it too bulky and anonymously designed compared to the branded laptop markets for the use I would make of it (app / software / web development / light gaming).

The lafite is pratically the more convenient, custom made equivalent of a macbook air.

What attracted me to it is its sleek design, portability, and a good battery (this, of course, paired with extremely good specs for its size and price).

If you were to keep those three features and build something that offer a bit more horsepower, I believe it would be a deal maker for it.

If the current lafite is the contestant for the macbook air / dell xps 13, I'd imagine this as being the contestant for the macbook pro / dell precision M3800.

I was planning to get a Lafite once the first reviews began popping out, but I would definitely hold up for this one. Keep us updated!

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Had I not just got a Cosmos a few months back I think it would have definitely been considered. The slimmer design would be a bonus although I'm not a big fan of the colour personally. Does it also limit anything else? ie Max CPU, HDD spaces etc. That would have been important for me.

Edd1e

Enthusiast
When considering the Cosmos in the past it has been for portability over say the Optimus. This would increase the benefit in this case so would definitely consider it providing there were no issues with the slim design & heat. Personally I would prefer a grey/black finish as I hate when products that are to mimic Mac but that is just me.

Poes-Lawyer

I'd be very interested. I was considering buying the 13.3" Lafité but if you're thinking of introducing a 15.6" version I'll wait. A few questions:

* Would the thickness be similar/the same as the 13.3" version? And would it be proportionally light?

* Any idea on prices and available components?

* Is this based on an existing chassis (e.g. Clevo etc.)? If so, which one?

* Could it be available without a dedicated GPU as a cheaper option?

I personally like the Macbook-esque silver of the 13.3" version, so I wouldn't mind it like that. Otherwise I'd prefer black to grey, but that's just my preference. Ideally I'd like to have the choice in the online store if that's possible.

fowler26

Any more news on this. Am getting my daughter a laptop for her birthday in June. Would hold out for 15.6" lafite if spec is gonna be better & good value also.

Latest I can order is last week in may as birthday is 8th of June.

qwerty

Any more news on this. Am getting my daughter a laptop for her birthday in June. Would hold out for 15.6" lafite if spec is gonna be better & good value also.

Latest I can order is last week in may as birthday is 8th of June.

Is there any news on this out of interest?

Rick

Seeing as we are now about to begin the first week of May, any more updates on this?

Recently witnessed the replacement of the Optimus V series with ones equipped with the latest GPU in the VI series. Also noticed that, shortly before the V series was pulled, the price of the 15.6in model had dropped by a staggering £100 to £510. I assume this was to clear out any remaining "outdated" inventory? Can we expect to see a similar fate for the Cosmos II? I observed some subtle changes in the options available in the configurator including the screen options reduced to two as well as the network adapters; signals for an imminent change?

Back to thread topic, what would the significant changes between the 15.6in variants of the Lafité and Cosmos be? Could we expect a choice from quad core processors? Maintaining the 840/850 graphics cards sounds great as does the grey/black colour scheme (I've got nothing against Macs but dust tends to show up more sorely on white than the darker shades and personal preference). As Poes-lawyer mentioned, any word on the chassis, or whether it is a pre-existing Clevo one? The Lafité's form factor and battery is quite appealing as is the Cosmos' versatility in sheer number of configurations available. A compromise between the best points of both (in an ideal world!) and a reasonable price would definitely be very tempting.

CamerAllan

+1 I would be very interested in this model, also would love an update as I need a laptop by the end of next month and this sounds like it'd be perfect!
Preferably the same colour as the 13".

Last edited:

Alir

Silver Level Poster
I think we can expect Valve to release half life 3 before we hear any news on the larger Lafite laptop.

lol jks. Seriously though, this would be awesome! I probably won't get it now since I've already ordered the 13.3" Lafite (hasn't arrived yet).

Though if I like the service I get from PCS I will be sure to recommend the larger model to others :)

Rick

While the Cosmos III with a 9th Gen GPU is certainly nice, I was really hoping the GTX950m would at least be the GDDR5 version similar to the GTX960m cards. Guess it's back to waiting on the Lafité then

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
While the Cosmos III with a 9th Gen GPU is certainly nice, I was really hoping the GTX950m would at least be the GDDR5 version similar to the GTX960m cards. Guess it's back to waiting on the Lafité then

The DDR3 doesn't make much difference to the performance. It's not a high end GPU so it's not really bottlenecked by slower memory.

Rick

Just noticed an additional Cosmos III LE option available as well... What does the LE stand for?

More importantly, the main difference I see between the two is that the original Cosmos III comes with the GT 940/GTX 950 DDR3 cards while the LE version weighs in with a solid GTX 860M DDR5, thereby kicking it well into gaming laptop category. Main questions being:

1. Any reason for the downgrade in screen resolution? Seems like a real shame to have a card like the GTX 860M outputting only at 1366 x 768.

2. Does the Cosmos really have the appropriate chassis for a GTX 860M? There are multiple noise complaints about the cooling fans as it is. Can it safely and reliably handle the significantly stronger graphics card in the current chassis?

3. Related to the previous one, if you're adding a GTX 860M to the Cosmos chassis, why not go with the latest GTX 960M? Again, from the above, is there safety concerns? Perhaps, hardware incompatibilities (such as...)? Or is it to not encroach on the "serious" gaming laptops territory as more/most consumers would probably opt for the cheap-and-comes-with-latest-gen-gpu-card laptop rather than the expensive-and-comes-with-more-bells-whistles-and-frills-than-I-care-for laptop? Frankly, any of these are feasible reasons including financial viability so an honest response would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

MegaLeon

As in we're getting past June, any update on this? My laptop's motherboard fried after 6 years of glorious service, I'd be willing to wait for this one if we had some more concrete info.

Garawra

I'm with the man above here, I'm thinking of getting a Lafite with a tax rebate I'll be getting, but if the larger version is coming out I'll wait as the graphics card would probably be nice to have.

Also the black/grey option would be super, not a huge fan of the silver model.

johna1954

I would love to know the proposed spec and upgrades.
15.6" with IPS and GT 940/GTX 950 graphics, Quad Core processor, 8 or preferably 16Mb RAM, 3/4 USB 3.0 ports would be my ideal.
Some colour options would also be a bonus.
Going to be used for photography and running VM.

Last edited:

MegaLeon

I would love to know the proposed spec and upgrades.
15.6" with IPS and GT 940/GTX 950 graphics, Quad Core processor, 8 or preferably 16Mb RAM, 3/4 USB 3.0 ports would be my ideal.
Some colour options would also be a bonus.
Going to be used for photography and running VM.

Sadly there are still no concrete infos on this, athough I noticed they removed the Cosmos III LE from the lineup... hopefully to make space for this!*

EDIT: Seems like it's back now, but I definitely saw it gon for a while...

Last edited: