Do PCS laptops have much scope for OverClocking?

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Hi,

Saw a lot online about custom laptops with OC'd parts. Do PCS do this with their setups? I know some GPU's are re-released under different names but are the same chips with oc'd tweaks. I know heat is a factor for laptops but with them being custom I'm guessing they are aware of heat and setup accordingly. Noticed online the laptop I've ordered seems to have a great cooling system. It has a 980 in it which I doubt needs much OC'ing but I'm wondering about a few years along when it's not as current.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
It will void your warranty and I think the BIOS restricts overclocking the gpu, I wouldn't recommend it since as you mentioned there is limited cooling. As far as I know PCS does not overclocked a CPU or GPU in laptops.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply Keynes. I figured as much, wouldn't want them to OC the parts to be fair it won't do their lifespan any good and always the risks of overheating. I've heard of people underclocking cpu's to increase their longevity and reduce heat.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I haven't found a way to overclock my GPU in my laptop at all. However you can increase the max boost clock of your CPU, and the benefit of it being the boost clock is that it will only be clocked that high if it needs the extra power and temperatures are good at the time. I have mine set to 3.7GHz max with 1 core or 3.5GHz max with 4 cores, but it has never reached that high because of the temperature conditions, it will find the highest clock it can go to without overheating.

The GPUs do also use a boost clock which can go pretty high if the temperatures are right without doing anything yourself.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Thanks Wozza

I'm hoping with the added benefit of a decent cooling pad the temps won't struggle plus with the chassis pics I've seen it looks really easy to have the back off to access fans and clean them thoroughly. Not got any experience with the overclocking the cpu's and my new laptop will have a Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790S (3.2GHz) 8MB Cache but saw that it turbo clocks up to 4ghz which for a laptop isn't bad I think.

mrducking

Bright Spark
to answer the OP: yes you can and unless you are over you warranty you should NOT do it, not worth it at all
the only OC i would say you can do is the software one, which anyway is limited to +125MHz to the core and around the same to memory (if you dont feel confortable with OCing due to lack of experience wait for the warranty to end)

to the interested: to properly OC you will need to flash the bios (laptops nowadays are locked from OCing beyond a certain parameter (125MHz)) so you can unlock the OCing capabilities
bios: if it's a clevo chassis go to the web of "prema mod" and look for your model

REPEAT: dont even think about doing this before the warranty expires, not worth it