Existing SSD port into New Octane.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I've ordered a new Octane laptop and because I recently purchased an SSD which I used in my current HP laptop I have ordered the Octane without an OS and with the bare minimum for HDD. I was wondering if my current SSD with win8.1 on it would go straight into my Octane? I know I may need drivers etc but if I can get the laptop to boot with the SSD I can add the necessary drivers etc. Failing that will it be a clean install onto the SSD? had an issue with the HP not detecting or booting with the SSD at first and don't want a similar issue. Also asking mainly because for the life of me I cannot find my win8.1 disc haha

Tom DWC

I'm not familiar with the Octane chassis but assuming the drive bay is accessible (PCS laptops are usually very accessible) you shouldn't have any problems swapping out the hard drive for the SSD.

You won't be able to use the existing Windows installation, however. Even if the OS boots, you're likely to run into driver issues (it may work but it can be a lot of hassle to sort the drivers out) and note it won't stay activated due to the amount of hardware that will have changed (when an OS comes installed on a system it's licensed to that PC only).

So while there's unlikely to be any problems swapping the drive, I would recommend a clean install.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Thanks for the help, when I got the HP I did a clean install to remove the OEM add ons and found the drivers myself. As long as I can get the laptop to boot up and then just plug in my OS media which I've found (due to the octane not having a DVD drive) I'll be ok. I've already backed up the entire computer and will just it on working then fresh install. The octane chassis seems very accessible from pictures I've seen so I'm not worried at the actual mechanics of swapping the drives.

Tom DWC

Yeah it's a Clevo chassis so should be very straightforward.

As I say I wouldn't be surprised if it throws up a Windows is not genuine message or won't activate with the product key after the reinstall. It depends if it's a retail or OEM copy, if you brought it yourself and have the disc it will be retail and you can usually ring Microsoft, explain you swapped the drive and carry on using it. If it came with the HP laptop then it's likely OEM and won't work.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
I don't have an external dvd so I'll have to use the digital partition I made. I'll contact Microsoft if there are any activation problems because if I have a licensed copy it shouldn't matter on which computer I'm using it

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Anyone else got an opinion on this? I am hoping my current SSD will boot in my new PCS laptop that has no OS the copy on my old laptop is my own retail copy however as I said I can't find my disk. I know the two laptops will need different drivers but I'm hoping the similarities in the laptops will mean I can boot it up enough to load up a fresh install using the partition from the drive itself? I have my activation code from my copy of win8 and surely I'm allowed to install it on whichever laptop I'm using? it isn't a one shot install?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Anyone else got an opinion on this? I am hoping my current SSD will boot in my new PCS laptop that has no OS the copy on my old laptop is my own retail copy however as I said I can't find my disk. I know the two laptops will need different drivers but I'm hoping the similarities in the laptops will mean I can boot it up enough to load up a fresh install using the partition from the drive itself? I have my activation code from my copy of win8 and surely I'm allowed to install it on whichever laptop I'm using? it isn't a one shot install?

Windows 8 does away with the old licensing rules, so yes, you will be able to use the license again.

I'd agree with TomDWC though and say that if you boot the existing windows installation in the new laptop, it's more than likely it'll bluescreen or if not you'll have horrid driver incompatibilities which will be very difficult to troubleshoot.

You really need the disc, or any windows 8 disc with which you can use your key.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Yeah I see what you both mean. Thought it might be too easy. I've acquired a 8gb usb drive. I should be able to make a boot drive? starting to wish I'd not asked for a blank laptop I just figured since I had a code for windows I'd not used I might as well use it for my new laptop?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah I see what you both mean. Thought it might be too easy. I've acquired a 8gb usb drive. I should be able to make a boot drive? starting to wish I'd not asked for a blank laptop I just figured since I had a code for windows I'd not used I might as well use it for my new laptop?

Found this below:

http://www.redmondpie.com/download-windows-8.1-pro-iso-file-legally-without-product-key/

You should be able to create either a pro or standard usb install dvd from that (it includes the windows iso to usb), then once installed you can activate it with your key.