Need advice on temporary main HDD (whilst waiting for replacement)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just :)
Yes, I did indeed survive the night without my PC, I watched films and TV all evening.

And now I have my new SSD (DPD turned up with it a few mins ago) - and its staring at me.

Well don't just sit there looking at it!

Rakk

The Awesome
Well don't just sit there looking at it!

But I'm at work til 4:30pm ..... I don't think my boss will believe me if I suddenly claim I need to go home cos I'm ill, especially since he saw me getting the new SSD from the DPD guy.

dogbot

Bright Spark
But I'm at work til 4:30pm ..... I don't think my boss will believe me if I suddenly claim I need to go home cos I'm ill, especially since he saw me getting the new SSD from the DPD guy.

Tell him you have slipped a disc and need to have it put back in.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Work? Oh yes, I remember having to do that once upon a time....

Work is for people who don't know how to sail!

[rollinglaugh]

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
No wonder I feel tired, maybe you should teach me sometime :boat:

It's easy. Just follow these simple instructions:

1. Let go all the lines from the dock.

2. Pull the strings to get the big white flappy things up then tie those strings off somewhere convenient so the flappy things don't fall down.

3. Pull the other strings attached to the white flappy things and note what the boat does, because if you want it to do that again, that's the string you pull!

4. When you've had enough untie the strings holding the white flappy things up and let them fall down. Make sure you're out of the way as they come down.

5. Throw the big bit of metal at the sharp end over the side. (Tip: Make sure the string fixed to it is attached to the boat).

6. Get a large can of beer from the fridge, pour carefully into a glass, laze in the cockpit and enjoy.

Now you're a sailor.......

dogbot

Bright Spark
Ah! I see, now I'm an expert. There was always one thing that confused me though. That was the difference between the cork in the bottle of wine and the one in the bottom of the boat.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ah! I see, now I'm an expert. There was always one thing that confused me though. That was the difference between the cork in the bottle of wine and the one in the bottom of the boat.

That's an easy one. You always pull out the cork in a bottle of wine, but you never pull out the cork in the bottom of the boat. Got it?

Rakk

The Awesome
And as an update:

Woot, image restored in 28mins28 secs.
It all seems to be working fine so far, though I haven't tested everything, though Steam threw a bit of a hissy-fit claiming it couldn't find the internet (I did have connectivity) - it seems to have sorted itself out now, need to try various other bits and pieces now.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
And as an update:

Woot, image restored in 28mins28 secs.
It all seems to be working fine so far, though I haven't tested everything, though Steam threw a bit of a hissy-fit claiming it couldn't find the internet (I did have connectivity) - it seems to have sorted itself out now, need to try various other bits and pieces now.

Hey, good news!

Rakk

The Awesome
And the next update, roughly a week and a half after getting the replacement SSD, it blue-screened again last night - d'oh! (noting that it was previously blue-screening roughly every 2 weeks).

Looked like the same sort of error - ie. a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR - supposedly caused by the hal.dll (that's the Hardware Abstraction Layer dll I think) according to BlueScreenViewer.

So either its something else, or these SSDs really do hate me.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
And the next update, roughly a week and a half after getting the replacement SSD, it blue-screened again last night - d'oh! (noting that it was previously blue-screening roughly every 2 weeks).

Looked like the same sort of error - ie. a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR - supposedly caused by the hal.dll (that's the Hardware Abstraction Layer dll I think) according to BlueScreenViewer.

So either its something else, or these SSDs really do hate me.

If the problem is not where you're looking then it has to be somewhere else.

Have you checked your RAM with Memtest?

If you also have HDD(s) have you run a chkdsk /r on them to check for filesystem/disk sector errors?

I'm also going to ask my usual question; what's changed recently?

I assume you've pulled all the cards, blown the sockets with compressed air, checked the connectors and plugged everything back in again?

I also assume you have all the latest drivers installed? It might be worth taking a disk image and then doing a clean reinstall of Windows and the original PCS-supplied drivers. See whether it BSODs then. (I realise that will be a pain as well if it only BSODs rarely).

If I think of anything else I'll let you know..... :)

Rakk

The Awesome
Have you checked your RAM with Memtest?
I finally got round to running this overnight - took nearly 7 hours in the end, and it threw 459 errors - all in Test 13 - hammer test (over 4 passes) - this was also the test that seemed to take forever - I can't imagine any tests with errors are good so I'm presuming this means my RAM might be a bit iffy - haven't looked into that test or wheat the error actually means yet - and I do not know if dodgy RAM could cause these BSoDs, though dodgy RAM can cause all sorts of issues where it's not obvious that the RAM is the issue.
Though just as query, is MemTest meant to take longer on later passes, it defaults to 4 passes, the first of which took about an hour (just under) - and then I went to bed - but the final 3 passes took nearly 6 hours between them

If you also have HDD(s) have you run a chkdsk /r on them to check for filesystem/disk sector errors?
It found no problems

I'm also going to ask my usual question; what's changed recently?
Nothing that I know of, though its been over quite a timespan now.
First BSOD was when the machine was only a month or so old, next one was about a year later, then I got another 3 in the following 6 months and then it started happening roughly every two weeks, from about December last year, now given my memory is a bit iffy at best the only things I know that have changed: some NVidia driver updates - I did have GeForce Experience on the machine and it whinged at me when there were new drivers, so those drivers were normally uptodate, the machine is set to do automatic updates from Windows so all those should be uptodate. I uninstalled GeForce Experience about 1-2 months ago after reading it could cause issues.
At some point, I upgraded from Win8 to Win8.1 - I think that was last year sometime, but couldn't say when

And yes, I've sorta half come to the conclusion I should really just do a clean install of Windows, but that idea just makes me pull a nasty face.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You have a RAM problem. Any errors at all from Memtest is bad news. Pull all the cards except one and test that, test each card singly until you find the problem one, then get it replaced.

Bad RAM causes BSODs and lots of other issues.

The tests probably take longer because the RAM is failing more under stress.

At least you know what the problem is now. :)