WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error

Speedbird

I've emailed tech support about this as well, but thought I'd stick this in here in case anyone else has experienced the problem and may have a solution:

Last November I purchased the review spec Minerva gaming PC (order ref: XXXXXX) which has previously performed faultlessly. However, in the past week I have installed Microsoft Flight Sim X and have suddenly come across frequent yet sporadic 'whea_uncorrectable_error' crashes when using this game. The system plays other more demanding games flawlessly (Far Cry 4 for example), yet seems to struggle with this 7 year old game.

The most recent crash (about 10 minutes ago!) threw up a large number of errors in the system log within 10 seconds as well as a .dmp file which I can send on request. The majority of these errors are 'information' regarding Kernel-Power and Kernel-Processor-Power with a couple of other warnings including:

": The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS."

However this warning may have been thrown up on reboot rather than the blue screen.

I have made no changes to the system spec either physically or in the BIOS since taking delivery of the system.

From a quick Google it does seem to be power related, but I can't see any reason why it would happen. Leading up to the crash (smiley face of doom on Windows 8.1 64) I notice no change in frame rates or performance; there are no warnings or errors displayed, it is quite literally out of the blue. I wouldn't say I'm over taxing the system; frame rates are consistently excellent and even with more up to date addons, the base game still isn't exactly a resource hog.

Thoughts or solutions most welcome!

Martin

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's a hardware BSOD. PCS is probably your best bet since it's relatively new. It's quite likely flaky RAM, if you want to test it yourself go to http://memtest.org and download Memtest. Extract the .iso file from the downloaded archive, burn the .iso file to a CD/DVD and boot that CD/DVD. Memtest will start running. Leave it running as long as you can, at least overnight. If it reports any errors at all you could try pulling RAM cards and test them again one at a time.

Speedbird

Thanks for the quick response.

Unfortunately one of the things my new system lacks is a CD/DVD drive! I have found an alternative program also called MemTest which runs in Windows (and previously found issues with my old system - which is why I upgraded!), however it is showing no issues or errors.