13" Lafite Review

freexe

Just a quick review of my thoughts so far on the laptop. My last laptop was the t420s Thinkpad, I'll do my best to compare it to that.

System
I got the i7-5500u with a second M.2 SSD card, the AC-7265 wifi card and 8Gigs of ram. I immediately formatted the drives and installed Ubuntu 14.04 and then upgraded to 14.10.

Screen
With a 1080p IPS I can't complain. It looks great and has a good viewing angle. Colours look good and I can differentiate the blues and blacks from the whites and golds easily. There is a tiny amount of light leaking around the edges, but I can only notice it if I really look while there is a pure black screen during boot.

I'm sure there are better screens out there, but this is more than good enough for me.

Keyboard
Obviously this is a massive step down from the t420s. You have to hit the keys more accurately, they are not as nice to press and the layout isn't as nice as the function keys and hardware keys are integrated on the top row: the power button is just above the backspace button, no gap between f4 and f5, volume control managed via the secondary function of the f-keys etc...

All these factors were clear before I bought the laptop, and all the other manufactures (including lenovo) have been reducing the quality of their keyboards, which I think is a real shame.

Overall I'm happy with it.

Trackpad
The central main area of the trackpad is clickable and towards the bottom it loosens into a left and right mouse buttons (there seemed to be some confusion about this on the forum). The edges aren't clickable but you can scroll vertically along them. You can also right click with a two fingered tap starting with just the right finger and ending with just the left finger. Over the whole trackpad you can lightly tap the surface of the trackpad cilck.

I'll be waiting patiently for driver support as it's not great, but it is usable. I will continue to use an external mouse anyway, as I prefer it to any trackpad.

Graphics
I'm getting small glitches in the window titles. No show stoppers. I'm sure these will be fixed soon if not already.

Suspend
It doesn't come back from suspend quite right. I'm not sure what exactly is wrong, but sometimes things take longer than I think they should. I'm certain this is a software issue. I've generally found this always to be the case when running new hardware on Ubuntu.

Fan
The fan pipes up every now and then and goes away fairly quickly. They don't seem to be running most of the time, even under moderate load they are completely silent. When they do pipe up, they come up to full speed and go back down quite abrutly.

Bonus
I managed to get Photoshop CC installed via wine. I'm not sure when this started working, or how stable it is right now. But considering playonlinux says it shouldn't work on Intel Graphics and it seems to be working, I'm pretty happy.

Internals
I'm going to keep running this for another few days then I will open it up to put my data hdd in. I'm also hoping that 8gb isn't the max amount of ram the system can handle as I'd like to upgrade in the future.

Overall
I'm happy with the laptop, especially at the price point it is at.

I'll answer any questions I can.

Last edited:

xrazaa

I was curious which motherboard the Lafite has inside - and if it could support another stick of ram. Also have you opened it up yet? How difficult is the process are things easily accessible (ie hdd/ram).

Oh and any comments on the keyboard, what's it like, how does it feel?

Thanks.

Last edited:

rzolv

Bronze Level Poster
I was curious which motherboard the Lafite has inside - and if it could support another stick of ram. Also have you opened it up yet? How difficult is the process are things easily accessible (ie hdd/ram).

Oh and any comments on the keyboard, what's it like, how does it feel?

Thanks.

This is part of the output I got from dmidecode

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes
Base Board Information
Manufacturer: Topstar
Product Name: WhiteTip Mountain1 Fab2
Version: Fab2
Serial Number: 1
Asset Tag: Base Board Asset Tag
Features:
Board is a hosting board
Board is replaceable
Location In Chassis: Part Component
Chassis Handle: 0x0003
Type: Motherboard
Contained Object Handles: 0

I have opened mine up as I ordered mine with only 2GB of RAM and the standard 500GB HDD, as I had 2x8GB sticks and an SSD lying around. The board only takes a single stick. It's easy enough to get the back off. There's 12 screws holding the back panel on. The screws are all the same size bar the two screws in the middle of the middle row which are longer. Removing / replacing the HDD is easy as well. The only "delicate" bit is prying up the clip / snare that holds the HDD ribbon in place. And when putting the HDD ribbon back in place you must make sure you've got it positioned correctly so that you don't crimp / snag it while putting the clip / snare back in place.

I've had mine a while now and aside from the lack of driver support for the trackpad the only other complaint I have is there isn't enough shielding on the motherboard. So you can sometimes hear your computer doing various things through headphones/speakers if there's no audio playing (interference) or depending on how loud you're listening to something there's still an underlying level of interference.

You can see a video from a couple years back showing what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSA2F1AwboU

If you watch the video all the way through you can see various methods for resolving this. Funnily enough, the Lafite comes with a 3 pin PSU brick which does NOT carry the Class II double insulated symbol (as far as I can see).

rzolv

Bronze Level Poster
Hi

Good review.

I'm thinking of buying the Lafite and running Ubuntu or CentOS.

There are 4 wifi adaptors available to chose from.

Looking here http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034398.htm ,
and here https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi#bluetooth_coexistence , it seems like they all have drivers available, but I want to be sure, as I'm new to linux.

Which one did you go for, and have you had any problems?

ric

Most will be supported with the latest Linux distros and the latest kernel. I have the AC card in mine and it's supported under Fedora 21. However I haven't tested running WiFi and Bluetooth together.

ric

Most will be supported with the latest Linux distros and the latest kernel. I have the AC card in mine and it's supported under Fedora 21. However I haven't tested running WiFi and Bluetooth together.

Thanks for the replys.

Is that the AC 7265 or AC 3160?

freexe

More info on the graphical glitches.

It seems to affect native widgets such as toolbars and sometimes other apps more seriously. It's very weird, I no linux expert so I don't know how to try a more up to date kernel. It doesn't affect any of the apps (eg, chrome, phpstorm, photoshop, workbench) I use so I'm ok with it, but it could be an issue if it were something I used.

ubuntu1.gif
ubuntu2.gif

rzolv

Bronze Level Poster
Which version of Ubuntu are you using? I tried Ubuntu 14.04.2 and with the more up to date kernel it provides (3.16 I believe) it still suffers from a glitchy interface. I'm not sure what version of the xserver-xorg-video-intel package it was running. But it's probably not new enough to properly support these newer processors and integrated graphics.

I'm using Fedora 21 which uses 3.17 kernel and then updates to 3.18.7. Running yum info xorg-x11-drv-intel gives the following on the installed Intel graphics driver package.

[***@avatar ~]$ yum info xorg-x11-drv-intel
Loaded plugins: langpacks
Installed Packages
Name : xorg-x11-drv-intel
Arch : x86_64
Version : 2.99.916
Release : 3.20141117.fc21
Size : 1.9 M
Repo : installed
From repo : koji-override-0
Summary : Xorg X11 Intel video driver
URL : http://www.x.org
Licence : MIT
Description : X.Org X11 Intel video driver.

I can't remember what the same command would be for Debian derivatives. Try apt-cache show xserver-xorg-video-intel

I have had no problems with graphical glitches during use with a fresh install of Fedora 21, or after running yum update. The only time I get graphical glitches is during reboot or shutdown when plymouth gets squirrelly. That just causes the Fedora logo to dance across the screen a bit, so no big deal. And Plymouth is DRM and KMS drivers.

Last edited:

freexe

From apt-cache show xserver-xorg-video-intel I basically get:

Package: xserver-xorg-video-intel
Priority: optional
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 3112
Architecture: amd64
Version: 2:2.99.914-1~exp1ubuntu4
Provides: xorg-driver-video

I seems to get more glitches when running multiple screens.

freexe

I've updated to 15.04 beta and the graphics issues are fixed.

Package: xserver-xorg-video-intel
Priority: optional
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 3174
Architecture: amd64
Version: 2:2.99.917-1~exp1ubuntu2
Provides: xorg-driver-video

arvis

Hi I tried few versions linux, but they all gave me same result. Screen kept flickering, did you had that problem? Thanks.