Some constructive advice please

bigbert24

Hi guys,
i have a budget off £1600 (i can go over if needed) and i am looking for what i regard as a top spec laptop, the main use will be for online games, world of tanks, men of war and maybe some up coming games it will also be used to surf the net, watch movies, and occasionally school work from my boy, i need it to be both Ethernet and wireless perfect (I'm in the woods) Ive looked far and wide searching for advice and answers but it all has become too confusing for me, I'm in my 40's and build houses not pc's.. so the advice i am looking is for clarification on the build, why should i have 8-16gb ram, why that processor and why that gpu/mobo etc, if i can get 3-4 yrs from it being top notch then great (i have a buddy who has one from pcs and its in its 3rd year with no issues with a 880 gpu) i guess i am trying to ask you guys what would you get with £1600 and why, what would be the reasons as to why you would choose certain configurations?
p.s i don't need an 0S or anti virus etc..

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I would go with the defiance 17 from the review section for £1350. It offers a great gaming laptop at a discounted price. Regarding 2 GPUs, I don't think you get much benefits in a laptop screen but it should increase your fps but it is noisier, generates more heat and requires more power. Also some games are not well optimised with SLI enable

bigbert24

I would go with the defiance 17 from the review section for £1350. It offers a great gaming laptop at a discounted price. Regarding 2 GPUs, I don't think you get much benefits in a laptop screen but it should increase your fps but it is noisier, generates more heat and requires more power. Also some games are not well optimised with SLI enable

i had looked at it keynes and indeed it does look good for the price, but can you explain the pro's and cons of the mSATA/M.2 SSD Drive and the Hard Disk it comes with, would not a ssd and a second drive offer a better experience, remember i have £1600 here to play with.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The mSATA should be set up as the primary drive, I don't see any disadvantages of having it like that. Without the discount would be close to £1550.

bigbert24

i appreciate and welcome your advice keynes but I'm still confused here as to the hard disks as in numerous threads here i see ssd being the one to go with for a better experience. granted i am on the verge of ordering, but i do and want more advice on this and hope others can add their voice to it as i want the perfect laptop for my needs and wishes, can i also ask would it help to have a cooling stand etc

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The mSATA SSD is an SSD which is smaller than a standard one, it offers the same benefits as a regular SSD (faster booting time, fast loading applocatoons.....). The ideal drive option would be an SSD as the primary drive and a large mechanical hard drive which the defiance 17 in the review section offers.

bigbert24

urghhh.. this is why i should have listened at school..lol.. so basically what you are saying is that the The 17.3" Defiance as it stands offers the same experience as ssd drives only a bit slower and would not hinder me in any way for the next 2-3 yrs gaming wise?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Not sure it would be slower and I doubt you can tell the difference for day to day applicatoons unless benchmarking. The SSD and hard drive will last more than 3 years, if you mean that the laptop wouldn't hinder gaming performance in 3 years time I don't know. It depends in the settings you expect and type of games.

bigbert24

granted there is no way to future proof it, but i would expect it would play games out now at max setting? would i be right in assuming that?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
If I had the money I would go for that, it is the best single gpu you can get and it would max games at the moment without any issues.

bigbert24

thanks keynes, for not only your advice, but also your impartially. (you could have told me to go with 2 gpu's) i think i will get this and will post a review when i have got it.

bigbert24

Just a quick update, i had been shopping around and trying to base the spec's off this to others, i couldn't find any that offer the same value, hence i have now ordered the laptop from PCS, from what service i have received so far i am quite impressed, and provided it continues i will no doubt be ordering a desktop in the coming months to complement it. i cannot thank all the regular posters here enough for the advice they give out in the threads as it has helped me greatly in choosing PCS and hopefully PCS will, if not already acknowledge that towards the regular posters.