Nividia TITAN X

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
The Titan range, in my opinion, are more of a "COME AT ME BRO" to AMD showing off the absolute best they have to offer.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Who is the Titan X aimed at? Surely not gaming with 12GB right?

I think the titan range contains stuff designed for workstations like Double precision floating point. And as Wozza said, just to show off, even though the R9 295X2 beat the Titan Z pretty well :p

The Titan range is pretty useless to most people, it's more just to test out the newer technology and show off

Gannef

Yea, the titan's are for people that do compute stuff for fun but don't have the money to buy an actual workstation gpu (Tesla/Quadro) or for whoever has so much money to spend that it doesn't matter and just want the absolute best.

As for the specs, its probably just 50% bigger than the 980 judging by the transistor count, and will likely have about 40% high gaming performance. But that's just my guess.

blakeyxd

Looks intersting. Itll be when they release the 980ti that ill be poking my head up; im hoping the next gen will provide a stable 4k 60fps as a standalone unit (no SLI) and SLI to be used just to prevent the odd stutter. Probably hoping a bit much as i don't see 4k being a stable gaming platform for at least 5 years (120hz will certainly not be realistic in the short term).

I know people will say why have a 4k monitor (i have two btw). But for production and development work its great and makes its like having 16 screens especially since i have awesome eyesight (no scaling). But even with games if i really want to i can half my resolution or go to 1080p. Id rather have the ability to have 4k at 60hz that will be part of the next gen monitors/resolution for the next few years at least.

policematrix

aimed at people with too much money IMO
FarCry4 uses at ULTRA settings at 1080 under 2GB of GPU RAM.
I cant see anything needing more that 8 GB for a long time

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
aimed at people with too much money IMO
FarCry4 uses at ULTRA settings at 1080 under 2GB of GPU RAM.
I cant see anything needing more that 8 GB for a long time

Many non game applications can use as much VRAM as you can give them and I imagine 12GB would help with gaming at 8K in the future

Gannef

Many non game applications can use as much VRAM as you can give them and I imagine 12GB would help with gaming at 8K in the future

Indeed, there are also many games that use as much vram as you can give them to fill it up with textures for later use. An example is the frostbite engine powering games like battlefield 4, this engine uses all ram it can find to fill with textures, having more than 4 or even 8gb thus helps increasing performance with some settings (like distance for example). This is especially needed on 4k gaming where 4gb is not enough. And as for sli or crossfire gaming, if you use 2 cards the amount of shaders and texture units double, but the vram visible for the game does not (using 3 of these titans will still only be 12gb in total). So using more than 1 card has a limit as soon as vram is full, this is where the 12gb will help performance of those extreme systems a lot.

policematrix

Indeed, there are also many games that use as much vram as you can give them to fill it up with textures for later use. An example is the frostbite engine powering games like battlefield 4, this engine uses all ram it can find to fill with textures, having more than 4 or even 8gb thus helps increasing performance with some settings (like distance for example). This is especially needed on 4k gaming where 4gb is not enough. And as for sli or crossfire gaming, if you use 2 cards the amount of shaders and texture units double, but the vram visible for the game does not (using 3 of these titans will still only be 12gb in total). So using more than 1 card has a limit as soon as vram is full, this is where the 12gb will help performance of those extreme systems a lot.
Well yes you could always use more of everything I suppose but at what price. Maybe some advanced GPU usage where this is needed but IMO right now for gaming its overkill and most likely down the line will be a much more affordable and more powerfull model, Also we have DX12 waiting around the corner and have little idea how this will impact usage in future games
DirectX 12 will not only improve CPU performance by up to 50% depending on how a game is developed, as previously announced, but it will also boost GPU usage by up to 20%
and there is always the risk that NVIDIA invent some great technology thats on the next cards that makes any card before them inferia.
If I was seriously considering 4K gaming I would still wait for a more affordable option, If you have wads of money then why not the titanx I suppose.

blakeyxd

If it does i will be selling my brand new 980's in replace for 1 or 2 titan x's. It may however be able to hand the memory side of things easy peasy, its wether its fast enough to fill that memory up in real time :D. Today is the day they release the full specs, im hoping to see that although its only 1ghz that its able to process stuff at insane speeds. The leaked benchmarks look promising.

OR to bite the bullet if the 390x from AMD is as powerful as it says it will be i will be getting 3 of them and probably have some money to pocket!

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
2 titan x are likely to be worth like 6 or more GTX 980s. I would probably wait for new range of GPUs

Spuff

Expert
'The Titan X has every single widget of performance available in the Maxwell architecture. This will be as good as it gets until Nvidia's next microarchitecture (currently code-named Pascal) comes along, probably in 2016.'
'The Titan X isn’t designed to excel at compute tasks or bitcoin mining—when it comes to double-precision compute ability, it runs at the same speed as a GTX 980. In other words, this is a card designed for just gamers'
'the most interesting feature of the Titan X is that it actually runs games at 4K at acceptable framerates'
IGN

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
UGH i wish i had waited, i would have gone for 1 Titan X instead of SLI GTX 980.

It would look so good in my rig.

I'll keep my eye out for an EVGA Step up. I dont think they will be doing titans however because of the stock levels.

New technology, its a curse.