windows 8 boot problem

finaldj

Just looking for some help...

Built a laptop from PS in May last year...

it holds 2 HD's so installed my Agility 3 SSD as main drive. I have my own windows 8 op so installed it and so far everything has been running spot on until today.

I was running the laptop for 30mins walked away and came back to a black screen saying this....

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

options
1. insert windows disk and reboot
2. choose language setting then click next
3. Click repair computer

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Info: the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I have tried a repair and it doesn't work. but if I push F7 on boot up and select my SSD from the boot options it boots right into windows 8. I have even tried to restore to an older date no luck. done a disk check and the drive is showing fine.

My alternative is a windows format and trying again.

I posted this info on another forum and they have suggested it could be down to a bad CPU or mainboard (setting aside an unfixable windows driver) or a dodgy hard drive or controller.

Looking for some other solutions really...I've seen 2 posts so far on here relating to this and PCS advise is to send the product back for testing which I don't mind doing...figured perhaps I should try a new windows install first to see if the problem ongoing or not?

It's still under warranty.

thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think the first thing I'd do is run chkdsk /f on the SSD to check and repair the filesystem.

Do you use GPT disks and UEFI? I know of lots of people having UEFI issues and IMO the extra protection isn't worth the hassle.

Have you ever dual booted from this SSD? That's known to sometimes cause this issue. Use the appropriate SSD management tool to wipe the disk and the reinstall Windows 8.

A quick search found some useful advice from Microsoft here. It's for a Vista system but it's almost certainly more or less the same code in Win8.

You might find some useful info in here too.

As a test you might try just using the HDD and installing Windows on that. If that doesn't have the problem then it's your SSD that has the issue (that doesn't mean it's faulty though).

See whether any of that helps? :)

finaldj

Thanks for the Advice, I did do a check on the SSD yesterday and it showed ok. Although when I put the repair disc in it was finding errors but then when I went to repair them it was saying nothing wrong/nothing to repair.

But as you suggested I'm going to do a new install see how that goes if it does it again will try it with the HD that came with the laptop just in case it is the SSD. I've used it in my desktop for about 2 years and it's been fine though so we'll see how it goes.

I'm sure in the bios setting UEFI is on. Should I take this off?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the Advice, I did do a check on the SSD yesterday and it
showed ok. Although when I put the repair disc in it was finding errors but then when I went to repair them it was saying nothing wrong/nothing to repair.

But as you suggested I'm going to do a new install see how that goes if it does it again will try it with the HD that came with the laptop just in case it is the SSD. I've used it in my desktop for about 2 years and it's been fine though so we'll see how it goes.

I'm sure in the bios setting UEFI is on. Should I take this off?

If it were mine I'd dump UEFI and go with MPT and a regular BIOS boot.