GPU: NVIDIA® Geforce® GTX - 2GB GDDR5
Memory: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz
Storage: 1TB Hard Drive

Alienware Steam Machine D

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 Quad-Core processor
GPU: NVIDIA® Geforce® GTX - 2GB GDDR5
Memory: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz
Storage: 2TB Hard Drive

...combine these specs with the release date (November 2015) and you've got yourself an outdated machine. :yawn:

Mordant

Silver Level Poster
Interesting how they don't mention which Nvidia GTX 2GB card is in them.

I'm not at all interested, even with 980 free games!

steaky360

I'm not sure if I'm right here, but I have a niggling feeling that the specs 'shouldn't' matter - I guess I should clarify, what I'm trying to say is that the problem we PC gamers have isn't that the hardware gets outdated too quickly. Games still run on consoles right? Their specs have not changed... The issue is poor porting and bad coding for the PC which means we (PC gamers) need better rigs to handle the newer titles which still run on the same consoles...

I appreciate however that the steam machines need to be 'as good as' or preferably better than the console equivalents and I'd also say a major factor should be that they are upgradable/expandable (as in a PC...). We're starting from a poor position if this is not the case imo.

Mordant

Silver Level Poster
... The issue is poor porting and bad coding for the PC which means we (PC gamers) need better rigs to handle the newer titles which still run on the same consoles...

You do have a point, but Chris Roberts with Star Citizen at least is aiming to create a PC only game that is targeted at the next gen PC hardware - it'll run OK on current specs but it'll be able to take advantage of future upgrade to really shine.

It's the way Chris wrote the original Wing Commander games and they all "forced" upgrades of processor, gfx and even sound cards back in the day.

So although most games are console ports and should therefore run on modest spec PCs there may well be a resurgence of PC only games that push the boundaries again if Star Citizen delivers and does well (not that having brought in over $73 million before the game is anywhere near ready isn't some form of success).

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Good point - though how much would it cost to get the 980 games that come with it?

Not entirely getting this whole "980 games thing", are they free?

At any rate, will almost certainly have 90% of the ones worth getting in my Library anyway :D

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I guess that's a fairly good reason not to say which one it is then, although they mention that it's a custom one :D

I've just had another look and apparently its a customised GTX 860M. Which is not amazing, but not bad for $480 (~£315)