PC making an unusual crackling/clicking noise on startup

Joe_M

Hi guys, first of all I would like to say that I have some knowledge of computers but I do not know the advanced stuff.

In the last couple of days I have noticed that my computer has been making an odd crackling/clicking sound on startup. I have tried to track the noise and I believe it is either coming from my power supply or my graphics card (possibly a nearby fan). It is irritating and very noticeable and I don't want it causing further damage.

It always happens on startup and I have also noticed it on some occasions randomly occurring (for about 5 mins each time) when browsing the web or playing some games.

By the way I have had my PC for about a year now (I bought it from here but have forgotten my account details that I bought it on) and have never heard this noise before and it is happening regularly.

Thanks in advance, Joe.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
check all cables are clear of all fans, one could be catching just a little and only making a noise on startup and occasionally at random times.

The other (remote) possibility given the way you describe it is coil whine, have a look on youtube for videos depicting it.

Lastly you PSU/gpu could be on its last legs and developed a fault. I'd be slightly worried by this as it could be a fire risk but that is very unlikly

Joe_M

check all cables are clear of all fans, one could be catching just a little and only making a noise on startup and occasionally at random times.

The other (remote) possibility given the way you describe it is coil whine, have a look on youtube for videos depicting it.

Lastly you PSU/gpu could be on its last legs and developed a fault. I'd be slightly worried by this as it could be a fire risk but that is very unlikly

Thanks for the reply.

I have checked the cables and there weren't any obvious obstructions.

Also, I have looked at videos of coil whine and the noise I am hearing does not seem to be this (although I have heard it before on one game I played but only that game).

I am afraid either the PSU or graphics could be dying out (more likely the PSU) and I am looking for a replacement if the worst comes to worst. I think I'll give the PSU a good clean ASAP and then test it again and see if I can still hear the noise.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Could be a bearing or something then, are you ok with digging about inside the machine or just wan to send it back to PCS for repair/diagnosis?

Joe_M

Could be a bearing or something then, are you ok with digging about inside the machine or just wan to send it back to PCS for repair/diagnosis?

I'm happy with going inside my computer if it is fairly easy to do (if I needed to I would replace the PSU myself) but if it was something more complex like a CPU or GPU I would probably send it to PCS.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Best bet is to take the side cover off and stick you head inside the machine on startup and try to locate the source of the noise.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Are you still covered under warranty? if so then PCS could send you a replacement PSU to fit yourself if needed.

Best bet is to explain to them over the phone and they can arrange an RMA or to send a new PSU with you returning the old one with the same courier.

Joe_M

Are you still covered under warranty? if so then PCS could send you a replacement PSU to fit yourself if needed.

Best bet is to explain to them over the phone and they can arrange an RMA or to send a new PSU with you returning the old one with the same courier.
I've had the computer for 8 months and I believe I have a three year warranty so I assume so. I think it might be a good idea to RMA it or just buy an upgrade because I don't want it dying on me with the risk of other components getting damaged too. My Dad works with a PC technician so he is going to ask at work tomorrow what his advice is. Even so, I reckon my best bet is to get a replacement.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
if its covered then just send it back to PCS as something is obviously making a noise that shouldn't be.