complete system faluire

hey i have a win 8.1 X64bit pc with a
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
AMD FX 4100 Quadcore @ 3.6
8gig's of ram
gigabyte gtx 660 with 2048mb of ddr5
WD 1tera hdd
750W PSU
with this system all my games except MC are crashing these include BB4, Fallout New vegas, kerbal space program, space engerniers and TF 2. out of these games thay all crash randomly exept BB4 wich crashes when u get draged backwards in to a submarine, this is about of a third of the way thou the opening cut scene other than that the crash is not reliable.
the crash is the system turning off and not powering back up until the psu switch is turned off then on again.
i have cheeked all drivers ect are up to date and have tried rolling them back allso system temperature is fine as i have cheeked that.
this problem has been plaguing me for months and i have had they system stress tested for ~48 hours with no issues it did ocour at a earler date when i upgrade to my current graphics card however a reinstall of everything inc windows solved this however this is a very impractical solution every time i get a new game, fallout New Vegas was played for hours at a time to a total of 13 hours before this happened and it happens regularly (never more than two hours in sometimes as early as 2 min's) ever since.
if any one can suggest any potential problems it would be greatly appreciated. :wacko:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Did you stress both the CPU and GPU, at the same time?

For me this sounds like the PSU is on its last legs, possibly when the PSU experiences a higher demand for power it is unable to supply it could be switching off to avoid damage

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Should have rooted out any issues with the PSU.

Might simply be an issue with the GPU, you don't happen to have an old card lying around somewhere to test it?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Tough one, if a windows reinstallation does solve the problem then it is unlikely to be hardware related.

What I would do is do a fresh installation, load all the drivers and software onto your clean installation along with maybe 1 or 2 games that you can occupy yourself with for a few days then take a system image (makes installation next time quicker and easier) then go about using the system as normal for a week or so with no new games and if that works fine install a new game and see if it does anything.

yea the last time thou i was switching from whatever the rubbish is( yes strong opinion) to nvida card so i believed it was a left over driver conflicting someewhere

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
it will rule out pretty much anything software related, but if you are sure its not to do with that then I'd give PCS a ring directly. They will probably ask you about the stress testing and possibly advise some more tests/possible fixes or rule it as a faulty gpu right away.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I have no wish to intrude (you're in good hands with mantadog :)) but have you checked the temperatures yet? Is it possible that either the CPU or GPU could be overheating? HWmonitor from http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html should do the job.

I had assumed a 2 day stress test would have done the trick in routing out any temp issues but its always worth checking while gaming because it is a slightly different type of load. (though stress tests do generally push equipment harder)