Windows Defender Question?

Gelbs

Bronze Level Poster
Don't think it's anything major, but why is it, when I do a full scan via Windows Defender, it gets to around a quarter done, then automatically, restarts and somehow changes to 'quick' scan?! Maybe it's always done it, but I've never been aware of it before! Why would it change from full scan to quick scan??

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'd do a scan of malwarebytes. Quick scan only scans critical folders leaving out any user folders, so it's an incomplete scan. That shouldn't happen.

Gelbs

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah what I thought. I have AVG installed, so I can't use Windows Defender without uninstalling it anymore. I've done numerous scans and nothing shows up as bogus etc. Just curious about Windows Defender though. Kind of paranoid too, as I turned my computer off the other day (not sleep mode) and for some strange reason, it turned on by itself about 20 seconds later!! Lol.

Gelbs

Bronze Level Poster
Anyone you'd particularly recommend mate? I know there's a lot, but would want a good one, and free at that! Lol.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org is free, make sure you specify not to run the free trial of the full version when you install it or it will conflict with Avg. It's the industry standard for malware, has been for a long time, I'd always recommend it.

Gelbs

Bronze Level Poster
Literally scanning already via that one! Just using the free version currently. Still curious too as to why my computer turned on by itself after it shut down fully, too :/

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you have AVG you either need to ensure that Defender's real-time protection is turned off or, better still, disable the Defender service so that it doesn't start at all. With AVG you don't need defender (Malwarebytes is a much better second scanner as has been mentioned) and if you end up with both AVG and Defender's real-time engines turned on you'll have problems.