Dedicated Physx Card

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Does having a GPU dedicated to PhysX have a negative affect on performance in non PhysX enabled games?

and is it just me or is AC black flag one of the worst optimised games in existence -.-

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I don't think you get any noticeable benefits with a dedicated gpu for physx, it shouldn't affect performance either

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I think a couple years back someone did a test with dedicated PhysX GPU. Performance gains were 'meh' at best.

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Tested it out on few physx supported games like metro series and borderlands and got worthwhile increase in frames , Mafia 2 doubled

It's just ac black flag does my head in, no matter what settings I play on it just seems to lag even though the frame rate counters say I'm getting around a solid 60 and physx just seems to be broken in ac black flag, they patched it in post launch and I guess messed it up

I've had to force on triple buffering and turn off the in game vsync which gave me a tiny boost in performance

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Just tried one of my cards as a dedicated physics and there was no noticeable difference.

[video=youtube;cbww3dhzK0M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M[/video]

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Just tried one of my cards as a dedicated physics and there was no noticeable difference.

[video=youtube;cbww3dhzK0M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M[/video]

pretty sure only the 400series and higher support PhysX,
with a gtx 970 I get around 75fps with a dedicated 580 I get 143ish

similar performance to this video..

[video=youtube;Sc9Sw47KzJA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc9Sw47KzJA[/video]

only worthwhile if you play a game with built in PhysX, otherwise it does nothing

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/physx/games

my problem is that assassins creed black flag is ***************************

LFFPicard

Godlike
AC:BF is a failure, it is widely known to be an extremely badly optimised game and was simply rushed out as a cash cow in the series.

Unfortunately until they release a rather large and worthwhile patch it wont get any better, and I doubt they will even do that as I think you will find they have written it off and moved on to the next AC.

Spuff

Expert
AC:BF is a failure, it is widely known to be an extremely badly optimised game and was simply rushed out as a cash cow in the series.

I tried BF with physx on but I didn't like all the smoke in the way. In my test with it on I didn't notice any slow down. I played otherwise on all max settings and I don't remember any performance shortcomings. I never noticed any slow down. There was an issue where it stuck at 30fps but this was simply rectified by minimising to desktop and bringing the game back.
Many people, including myself though BF was a very good and enjoyable game. I was under the impression that people thought it was Unity that was under-thought and BF was the good iteration.

Last edited:

LFFPicard

Godlike
I tried BF with physx on but I didn't like all the smoke in the way. In my test with it on I didn't notice any slow down. I played otherwise on all max settings and I never noticed any performance shortcomings whatsoever. I never noticed any slow down. There was an issue where it stuck at 30fps but this was simply rectified by minimising to desktop and bringing the game back.
Many people, including myself though BF was a very good and enjoyable game. I was under the impression that people thought it was Unity that was under-thought and BF was the good iteration.

Aaah maybe I got it the wrong way round then Unity does sound more familiar, My apologies!

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I didn't find Black Flag to run that badly at all on My Laptop with ATI but again that might point towards Physix as i didn't have the Physix software installed so it should have been fairly non existent in the game.

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
After forcing triple buffering using D3DOverrider black flag works flawlessly with everything maxed out except physx which was poorly patched into the game in the first place so ............ You ubisoft

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Tempted to get Rogue, however i now dont pre order or buy games until i have heard TB's veiws.

I really wish he would revisit Unity, that mess is almost unplayable.