Computer very noisy

rachdun

I was wondering if someone could please tell me why my computer has suddenly become so noisy.

It's a very loud buzzing type noise

The computer temperature is at approx. 28 degrees

Utilisation level varies - it goes up and down but maximum is approx 14%

The noise is very distracting

rachdun

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 912 PLUS MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4690 (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® Z97-A: ATX, USB3.0, SATA 6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk
120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 410MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM (64MB + 8GB SSD CACHE)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling
Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
DVD Recovery Media
NO DVD RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Internet Explorer
Warranty
3 Year Platinum Warranty (3 Year Collect & Return, 3 Year Parts, 3 Year labour)
Delivery
PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-NOON
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 4 to 6 working days
Quantity

Thanks for that - I wasn't actually doing that much work on it this morning - it just suddenly started making the noise. Before I posted to the forum, I had turned it off and put it back on again, and the noise persisted, hence the post to the forum

I then waited for a bit and turned it off and put it back on again, but the noise didn't actually return, but I still wonder what could have started making the noise.

Thanks

rachdun

I'm afraid the noise is back today - it is very noticeable.

It is now a constant noise - not quite as noisy as a hair-dryer, but getting that way.

If someone could give me some idea as to why it was making this noise, I'd be very grateful.

Temperature is at 29 degrees surfing the web. The utilisation varies from 1% to abt 10%

I did take the side panel off to see it I could see anything, and noticed it was very dusty inside.

I did not try to do anything about that because I didn't want to do anything wrong.

Thanks

rachdun

It is still making the noise intermittently - very bad this afternoon. If someone could please give me some advice I would really appreciate it.

Lorkem

As you've mentioned it's dusty, I would advise buying a can of compressed air and blowing out the dust from your PC with it (Make sure it's always held upright and used it short bursts) to see if that helps with the noise as it could be blocking the fans.

rachdun

I've had a lot of work to do for university recently, so haven't had the chance to buy the air yet. Will definitely post the results when I get the chance to buy it.

Thanks

rachdun

Sorry to take so long to post a new message, but have been very busy recently. The computer seems to have stopped making the noise again at the moment, so will leave it for now, but will buy it if it begins again.

Thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Sorry to take so long to post a new message, but have been very busy recently. The computer seems to have stopped making the noise again at the moment, so will leave it for now, but will buy it if it begins again.

Thanks

If you can see dust inside I strongly recommend you follow Lorkem's advice and properly clean the insides. I use a soft brush and a can of compressed air to tease the dust off the fan blades and from all the cooling fins and components. You want it clean enough inside that you could eat your dinner off it (but don't try that at home ;)).

The noise is probably caused by the dust unbalancing the fan blades and/or the dust on the blades causing turbulence as they spin. The reason the fans are on at all is probably because something (perhaps the PSU?) is getting warm and the fans turn on to cool it.

In any event a good and thorough clean is the very first thing you should do before you attempt any other fault-finding.

Oh, and never ignore a problem because it seems to have gone away, computers almost never fix themselves and problems generally get worse - Google entropy. ;)