Monitor about to die completely?

Dantrio

Ok so the last few days when i turn on my pc all 3 of my monitors dont work like they used to. I have 2 hdmi monitors one using a dvi adapter and a display port monitor plugged into my gtx 980 and it all use to work fine. The last few days the displayport just wont come on. If i look in nvidia control panel its there but i just cant tick the box to get the thing to work. After turning off and on the monitor, re seating the cables and restarting the pc eventualy i was able to tick the box. It took about an hour to finally get it working and now its done this 2 times in a row and i have no idea what i did to get it to work. Also when it came back on it was back to factory presets so non of the changes i had made to the brightness or contrast were there and if i try to change its colour through nvidia control panel it briefly changes then just changes straight back to the defult colours even though nvidia thinks its on its different setting. Is this monitor about to die or what is going on?

bonalste

Silly question, but do you think it could just be the dp cable is a bit naff and not sitting flush in the port?

Rakk

The Awesome
I know I had something similar (2 DVI, 1 HDMI connected - monitor 3 was the HDMI - its my TV- I don't normally use that one) , my second monitor started to not show anything when I turned the machine on, NVidia control panel knew it was there and recognised it, sometimes fiddling with the port (it was DVI) would make it come back to life, I tried swapping cables but it didn't seem to make a difference, tried swapping ports on the PC, didn't make a difference, tried a VGA convertor and plugged it into the VGA port on the monitor, same problem.

At that point I could only assume it was the monitor dying, so got a new monitor and haven't had any even vaguely similar problems since.

This doesn't mean yours is dying but when there is no other option, the only remaining reason is often correct - but yeah have you tried different cables, have you tried using different ports - ie swapping which monitor is plugged into which port on the PC?