system crash with different games

Hello!

I bought an MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4g card 2 weeks ago. It's working fine but when i play Tomb Raider 2013 it gets black screen in a couple of minutes and the game crash, and the only thing i can do is reset my pc. When it crash i hear weird system noise...crashed noise from the speakers. i can't tell you what it's like. This issue appears when playing BF4, AC4, Sleeping Dogs. But works perfect with AC3, Alien Isolation, Crysis 3... And i set all my games to ultra settings, because thats why i bought the card. I wrote on some other forums and they sad that my PSU isn't enough for my pc. Some other said that my CPU can't hanle the card, and othars said that my MoBo is the weak point. I had similar issue years ago when i bought the GTX 460. That was a clear problem. the PSU cant handle the 460 and when i played games or watched hd movies the pc just stoped because the power gived up. BUT now, the pc just crash and there was time when the screen doesn't whent black and i saw the picture of the game but still the crash noise and then reset. Why don't crash with the other games??

So my question is: what you think, my PSU isn't enough or my CPU is too weak or my MoBo is the problem?

My build:

- AsRock 970 Extreme 3 r2.0 MoBo
- AMD FX 6350 3.9Ghz 6 core CPU
- MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G VGA
- 8 GB RAM
- 2 HDD
- 600W PSU (the brand counts because i forget to look, don't think it's high branded though)

Thank You for the help, and sorry for my english.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
600w should be enough to run a 6350 and a 970 unless the power supply has a fault of some sort obviously.

Have you got any idea what the temps are like? Does it happen instantly on loading the game or do you get 5 minutes of play, longer or is it just random?

Try stressing the GPU with a stress testing application and see if you get the same results.

600w should be enough to run a 6350 and a 970 unless the power supply has a fault of some sort obviously.

Have you got any idea what the temps are like? Does it happen instantly on loading the game or do you get 5 minutes of play, longer or is it just random?

Try stressing the GPU with a stress testing application and see if you get the same results.

I tested the pc with 3DMark 11 and there was no overheating. I tested again with MSI Afterburner with the same result. And i monitored the whole system with MSI Afterburner and CPU Z while playing and there wasn't any overheating by the CPU, VGA nor the MoBo.
The system crash random. I mean i play about 4 or 5 minutes but it crashed some time earlier.

tried a clean installation of the drivers?

Yes. And it's a fresh windows 8.1, i installed it 2 weeks before i bought the card.
So not the MoBo, not the CPU, not the drivers. I reinstalled the game ( I wanna play AC4 ) and the problem still on.
And what about the RAM? 8GB enough? 1600Mhz Kingmax. And you think the 600W PSU is ok. My friend (who is a PC Expert though) told me that not the PSUs woltage is the important thing, the important is that how many ampers it leads to the card through the pins.

What you think about the RAM or the PSU?

Spuff

Expert
8GB Ram is enough.
Are you certain the card is seated fully and that the power connectors are fully in? Both may seem right when they are not.

8GB Ram is enough.
Are you certain the card is seated fully and that the power connectors are fully in? Both may seem right when they are not.

Good news! I lowered the AC4 graphics and i can play with it now. I don't know what happend because i lowered the graphics earlier but now i turned off the shadows (still beautiful) and the physx is on low. The game works like a charm (yet) But i'm disappointed a bit, because i bought the card to play games in ultra and see the perfect results, but the good thing is they run perfect and the graphics is good, but.... you know :/

The PhysX is controlled by the GPU, or the CPU has part in it too? Because if the game works without phisx and the GPU should handle it then the card has some hardware issues and thats no good. What do you think?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If you are certain its not anything due to the way you installed the card or any software issues then it might (just might) be a hardware issue with the card, in which case you should return it as faulty and request a new one.

8GB RAM is plenty and the PSU should be ample. It is possible that you have a dodgy PSU but I doubt it as it is apparently fine with stress testing which is usually a good deal harsher than gaming.

Lowering the graphics quality settings shouldn't really mean anything unless you have a fps cap on or something as the card should just be able to push out more FPS and therefor work just as hard.

If you are certain its not anything due to the way you installed the card or any software issues then it might (just might) be a hardware issue with the card, in which case you should return it as faulty and request a new one.

8GB RAM is plenty and the PSU should be ample. It is possible that you have a dodgy PSU but I doubt it as it is apparently fine with stress testing which is usually a good deal harsher than gaming.

Lowering the graphics quality settings shouldn't really mean anything unless you have a fps cap on or something as the card should just be able to push out more FPS and therefor work just as hard.

Other games still crash. And i tried the F.E.A.R. 3 and it's crashed too. so i think the hardware problem is no go, the issue is on the software side. i want to buy an SSD HDD. i reinstall my windows on it and try with the ac 4 first. I don't install anything just the important drivers ant the game and will see what will happen. Oh by the way the AC4 is still crash but a few hours later though. yesterday i played 1 hour it crashed, i started again i then i played at least 5 hours with no problem. WTF? This problem comes from chernobyl :D full with anomalys :D
I can't do anyting except laughing on this s..t. laughing and get nervous.
I don't think this problem has a solution but thank you for the help, in the past and the future.

So you think i should return the card? i was told that the service holds the card for a month or more. What xou think i can offer for another brand? ASUS maybe? The same GTX 970 but ASUS?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I would say the card is fault and to send it back if possible. No reason to change to a different brand its quite rare to get 2 faulty cards so I think you should just ask for a new one.

I would say the card is fault and to send it back if possible. No reason to change to a different brand its quite rare to get 2 faulty cards so I think you should just ask for a new one.

ok. i will send it back. but first. i checked my PSUs brand. N-BASE N-Power N600. what you think, with this knowledge the problem is still the card? or the PSU brand isn't important?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
the brand isn't particularly important but it could be that it is a PSU fault. 600w is more than sufficient for your setup but if the unit is a cheap unknown brand it does increase the probability of it being faulty or a bit over sold in terms of peak power.

however if stressing the CPU and GPu with benchmarking at the same time is not re creating the issue then it is probably not the PSU as it should be drawing more load than gaming. I think you said earlier that stressing both cpu and gpu had no ill effects.