Gaming mini PC for less than £800

katkit

Hello,

I'm looking for a mini PC, as the title describes. I chose the small form factor mainly for it to fit under my living room table (can't be higher than 40cm) and admittedly, it's cute. I play mainly RPGs (FFXIV:ARR and Skyrim, for example) and The Sims (all of them with add-ons and tons of mods).

I can't really go higher than £800 and around £750 is the ideal. I'll be using my old monitor, keyboard and mouse. So don't need that stuff, just the PC.

I configured this and wonder if anyone could offer some advice on where I could improve on things. If some bits are unnecessary, then I can spend more on more crucial parts. Here goes:

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4590 (3.3GHz) 6MB Cache

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 250D MINI-ITX CASE (maybe unnecessary extra but it's a really nice case)

Motherboard
ASUS® H81I-PLUS: Mini-ITX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs

Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 960 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Free Item: FREE WITCHER 3: WILD HUNT Game with Select GTX 9 Series GPUs!

1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply
CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY

Processor Cooling
Corsair H55 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (£39)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Quote Value: £756.00

The configuration check says the PSU is enough, so although it sounds like little, I'll trust it. Did I go overboard with the liquid cooling or would fans (maybe just put some extra ones in) be enough? I'm sort of paranoid about temperatures for some reason.

Hopefully you guys can give some advice and feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
For a mini pc case I would stick with the cpu cooler but drop the thermal paste and get at least a 450w or 550w psu otherwise you are limited with future upgrades

MiniPCNut

That's the same case I have, its great. You will love the dust filters and mine runs near silent and its set to turbo mode. I agree with keynes, you might as well get a bigger power supply because in a year or two it will give you more upgrade options. You should also swap your standard HDD for an SSHD if you can afford it but I doubt it will fit your budget, I don't remember the cost difference. Have you seen this review on the case?