Gta 5 benchmark

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Just wondering how well the games performing for you guys

On a i7 at 3.7ghz and a gtx 970 with everything maxed out at 1080 with mxaa at x4

I get a minimum of 29 in conjested areas with a lot of soft shadows otherwise it's a around the 50 to 60 mark

With mxaa at x2 and shadows on sharp its a solid 60

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hmm, i've run a couple of tests and at 4k 1440 and 1080 im always getting about 50fps.

Not sure what im doing wrong.

Thought my rig would sail past 60 tbh.

Tom DWC

I have a feeling the GeForce fps counter isn't working right with the game, cause it didn't really change for me either regardless of what settings I selected, though it felt really sluggish with absolutely everything on max at 1440p, as I would expect with a single 970.

Going by feel, most stuff on max apart from shadows/tessellation etc. with AA and the advanced options off looked and felt great. Could of had a bit of AA but I'd rather have 60+.

*EDIT*

Geforce Experience recommended settings don't seem to apply in-game even if you select them. Not sure if the fps counter is working or not after you change a lot of settings but seems to be accurate initially after rebooting the game.

Settings based around the NVIDIA recommended at 1440p with 3770K @4.3GHz, GTX 970 & 8GB RAM:

V-Sync Off
FXAA On
Other AA Off
All Other Off/On Settings On
All Other Settings Minus Tessellation Very High
Tessellation Normal

All Advanced Graphics Settings On
Advanced Graphics Settings Sliders 50%

Runs at between 50-60+ fps. Rarely drops below 50 and haven't seen it go lower than 40.

Last edited:

Spuff

Expert
For some reason the game only allows me to opt for 59Hz and not 60.
With my GTX 970, feeding 1080p, I've got almost everything on max and I am often getting a solid 59fps but there have been some dips down to the low 30's.
When going through the narrow gap by Franklin's house it went weirdly very blurry.*

*I found out this was due to 'In-Game Depth of Field Effects'. This, usually when in narrow gaps, makes everything stupidly blurry. It greatly detracts from realism rather than adding to it.

Last edited:

mcatlow

1080p, I'm getting 45-55fps driving in a vehicle, dips to 40-45fps when raining. On foot 60fps. It looks great! Won't go above 60fps - might try with lower settings to see what happens.

FXAA - On
MSAA - Off
Vsync - On
Anisotropic Filtering - x8
Reflection MSAA - Off
All Settings Very High, Except Grass - High

I read an online article on pcworld.com which contained the following:

"Now, to performance: I've run the built-in benchmarking tool without any problem. However, I'm seeing some weird stuttering when driving, and judging by the forums I'm not the only one (and here are some Reddit threads for good measure).

Everything is fine when walking around—I get a flat 60-frames-per-second on foot. I regularly see the frame rate dip when driving, though. It never goes below 30, but the frame rate hit is both noticeable and distracting. I tried lowering a few settings to compensate—for instance, I doubt I need anisotropic filtering defaulted to 16x—but didn't really notice any performance increase even when only using 1/3 of my VRAM.

Right now, considering how widespread the problem is on such a broad spectrum of high-end hardware according to reports, it's looking like a bug. Some speculate it has something to do with the minimum RAM recommendation not being quite enough (a.k.a. instead of 8GB it should be 16GB), while still others think it might have to do with hard drive speed (7200RPM not keeping up), but that's all just throwing darts at the tech dartboard until Rockstar confirms an issue. Something to keep an eye on, if you're having issues."

Last edited:

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Do the advanced settings do anything worthwhile? with everything on maxed out it looks the same too me ¬.¬

For some reason the game only allows me to opt for 59Hz and not 60.

If you turn off vsync in game and turn on adaptive vsync in the NVidia control panel it will fix that 59hz issue for you

Last edited:

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Im going to have to have a play about tonight with it. According to other peoples benchmarks there getting about 90FPS avarage using the SLI GTX980's. Could my i5 be letting me down? My dodgy monitor wouldn't have any affect on it would it?

Maybe i should try without sli.

So frustrating.

Tom DWC

I ended up just going with the default settings the game recommends, the NVIDIA ones were a little higher and still causing all sorts of random dips in certain areas and when a lot was going on.

The game's recommended just lowered water, grass, and the NVIDIA specific shadow's to "softer". This made a huge difference and it never seems to drop below 60 now no matter how much chaos I inflict, though sometimes when driving it will still dip into the 50s, which seems to be a common occurrence with a lot of people.

I turned the advanced stuff back on and maxed it out as it doesn't seem to have much impact on the frame rate as far as I can tell.

So advanced shadows and MSAA/MSAA+TXAA seem to be the real heavy hitters, as they usually are in most titles. Have to say the game still looks absolutely incredible with most stuff maxed and FXAA.

The 59Hz thing seems to be affecting a lot of people as well, I have that too. Not sure why it's causing you tearing though Spuff.

Smoke if you haven't already maybe try the latest GTA V driver clean and re-enable SLI? A mate of mine's performance seems to have decreased following the new driver so something is amiss somewhere. What's up with your monitor?

Another thing I noticed is if you tab out of the game and type, it lags massively. Don't know if anybody else is getting that, but it doesn't seem to be because there's no juice left as everything else performs normally. Have been reading about an issue with mouse acceleration being affected by the frame rate as well.

So a few bugs for them to sort out, but this release still puts stuff like Watchdogs to shame.

Spuff

Expert
Some weirdness and a complete freeze seem to have sorted out for me by turning off 'Pause game on focus loss'
The description for this is 'Scaling bars for population density, population variety and distance scaling.'
Does anyone know this means?

Last edited:

Tom DWC

Some weirdness and a complete freeze seem to have sorted out for me by turning off 'Pause game on focus loss'
The description for this is 'Scaling bars for population density, population variety and distance scaling.'
Does anyone know this means?

I'd guess it's for automatically pausing the game if you're running in windowed mode and the GTA V window isn't selected. Could be wrong.

Spuff

Expert
I'd guess it's for automatically pausing the game if you're running in windowed mode and the GTA V window isn't selected. Could be wrong.

Yes, that would make sense. I think the scaling bars bit was for the next section and not a description of the setting.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hmm, just realised that the nvidia drivers hadn't updated successfully the first time.

Hopefully i will get improved results now

Spuff

Expert
If you turn off vsync in game and turn on adaptive vsync in the NVidia control panel it will fix that 59hz issue for you

What I have done now is turned on full vsync in Nvidia control panel, and turned it off in game. This achieves 60fps (rather than being stuck on 59) and the Nvidia vsync seems to have less of a performance hit than the in-game one. The full vsync does eliminate all tearing.