Redundancy...

lewishollings

Bright Spark
So, I'm 19 years old and today was a pretty eventful day for me, I know I'm young, I know I have it easier because I'm still at home but today at 1 o clock, me and everyone in the entire company were told to pack there tools and leave, at first I didn't really know how to deal with the situation except laughing about it, making jokes and making out I really don't care, packed my tools in the car, said my goodbyes, went to the job centre, got back home and it hit me... hit me like a ton of bricks, I have no idea what i'm doing, where to start, what to do next or anything. I've just never been in this situation before and don't really know how to deal with it, I've worked ever since I left school and I'm scared at the thought of waking up tomorrow morning with no job to go to :( anybody have any advice they could pass on? Needed to vent and felt this was the only place I could really... Thanks guys

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Really sorry for that. Things will get better, I am sure you should be able to get a job soon. My advice is to take on some training while you are looking for a job, not sure what sort of jobs you do but I assume there are other skills you could learn in your field that could make you more employable.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, I'm 19 years old and today was a pretty eventful day for me, I know I'm young, I know I have it easier because I'm still at home but today at 1 o clock, me and everyone in the entire company were told to pack there tools and leave, at first I didn't really know how to deal with the situation except laughing about it, making jokes and making out I really don't care, packed my tools in the car, said my goodbyes, went to the job centre, got back home and it hit me... hit me like a ton of bricks, I have no idea what i'm doing, where to start, what to do next or anything. I've just never been in this situation before and don't really know how to deal with it, I've worked ever since I left school and I'm scared at the thought of waking up tomorrow morning with no job to go to :( anybody have any advice they could pass on? Needed to vent and felt this was the only place I could really... Thanks guys

That sucks! Does happen though, I was at a job for a few years and it came to the crunch where I approached my boss as I couldn't afford to keep paying for my expenses out of my own money and then be reimbursed at the end of the month, meant I coudn't do my job properly as I didn't have enough money to lay out to do trips. As soon as I told my boss and asked for some kind of company card, he let me go, said the recession meant they couldn't pay me.

It's a scary time, but you'll bounce back. I personally use online job markets such as monster, totaljobs etc as you tend to get agencies doing most of the legwork and contacting you once you've posted CV's and replied to some ads.

Feel for you, but try to stay positive and focussed.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Been there done that. Yes it is a shattering experience to be made redundant and I well remember the shock (we didn't see it coming either). The biggest thing to get over is the sense of rejection you'll feel. Keep telling yourself that this was not your fault - because it wasn't. You haven't failed or been rejected and you're not worthless - I know you're feeling all that because I did. When one door closes another one opens up, so don't look back at what might have been and see this as a new start. At 19 years old this is nothing at all to worry about, I was in my mid 40's when I was made redundant, it spurred me to work for myself (on the basis that in the computing industry most people thought I was too old) and I did very well thank you. :)

This is just part of life and in time you'll be glad that it happened. Be confident that the Universe is unfolding as it should.
Yes, that's from Desiderata

Nasty

Been there also and it is indeed grim! but dont let it get you down, put your CV together and get it out there, your still very young, which gives you plenty of options, apprentice maybe? or just visit job websites like www.Totaljobs.com or www.monsterjobs.com are just acouple to try.

Best of luck.

Pagey

Bright Spark
I've no idea if you have any BTEC's or not, but if you don't you could always try and get some. I found out way too late that the BTEC LVL 2-3 is essentially free, (£10 a year). You also get some funding and stuff. I know it's not work, but it might give you some ideas where to go next.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I was made redundant from working on a chicken farm just over a year ago, it was a long drawn out process that lasted from just before Christmas to the end of February but we all knew it was coming as much as a year off. Maybe that helped me in some ways but in the end it took so long that I didn't really feel much about it. After the initial shock of entering the consultation period I just kind of accepted it. I think its common that everyone pretends not to be bothered. We were all called in for a meeting at some local offices for what was obviously going to be the big announcement. As we all walked in single file down the corridor someone (and to this day I still don't know who) piped up "now I know how the chickens feel on the way into the factory" everyone laughed because it was genuinely funny at the time. I do think some people acted like they didn't care even though they did.

I was 26 and has been with the company 8 years but always treated it as they were buying my time 1 hour at a time. It will probably help to remember that everyone got the bullet not just you, it wasn't personally your fault, it looks like the company had some bigger problems.

One bit of advice I would give would be to stay away from the jobcentre if you can afford to live without the pittance they will pay you. I had an unemployment insurance policy and as a condition of that I had to sign on at the jobcentre. in my experience the people in the job centre just don't give a monkeys about anything. They are only interested in ticking a box and if you are feeling low you don't really want them poking about and telling you to apply for a job that's 16 hours per week spread over 4 days 20 miles from you house.

I have used redundancy as a springboard to bigger and better things, I now own a fish and chip shop and I love it. The directions you can take from here are endless, from education to employment to self employment. Think of it as a fresh start and you might feel better about it.

lewishollings

Bright Spark
Thank you all for the advice, we also had some funny moments like that just before, our boss was acting very weird which led to rumours but nothing official had been heard, it was just the shock of how quickly these rumours turned around, one person that morning who I worked with said to me "Today is the day, I can just feel it" to which we all laughed... little did we know how true this was! Since yesterday my girlfriend has helped me a lot and given me quite a bit of support in building my CV up again, applying for jobs, but at the same time told me to try and not lose my way, reading through all this has helped a lot and I do know I have it a lot easier than most but it was just a shock, woke up early this morning, printed my cv's out and just trying to look for a temporary job so I can afford to pay for my monthly outgoings.

Thanks a lot everyone!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thank you all for the advice, we also had some funny moments like that just before, our boss was acting very weird which led to rumours but nothing official had been heard, it was just the shock of how quickly these rumours turned around, one person that morning who I worked with said to me "Today is the day, I can just feel it" to which we all laughed... little did we know how true this was! Since yesterday my girlfriend has helped me a lot and given me quite a bit of support in building my CV up again, applying for jobs, but at the same time told me to try and not lose my way, reading through all this has helped a lot and I do know I have it a lot easier than most but it was just a shock, woke up early this morning, printed my cv's out and just trying to look for a temporary job so I can afford to pay for my monthly outgoings.

Thanks a lot everyone!

When you are at future interviews they will probably ask you about the redundancy. Don't be negative about your previous company nor about the work you did there. Unless you were supposed to know you can always say you had no idea that the company was in trouble. Give the impression that you see your redundancy as an opportunity to move forward. Actually that applies to anything in a job interview, never be negative, always try to see the positive in everything and look forwards not back.

Best of luck in the future. :)

mishra

Rising Star
... and I thought it's going to be about RAID arrays ;)

Seriously thought, keep up the good mood. In the end of the day it is their loss of a good member of staff!
Get your CV sorted then start looking for a new job. You will be better of anyway and hopefully on better money too + you will meet new people and learn tons of new things. At the age of 19 the sky is the limit really... so grab any opportunity to turn it into a positive experience. Best of luck mate.

lewishollings

Bright Spark
Hey guys, I just thought I'd let you all know I'm no longer a bum! Just had a call to start my new job on the 27th April! :D Can't wait...

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
Hey guys, I just thought I'd let you all know I'm no longer a bum! Just had a call to start my new job on the 27th April! :D Can't wait...

Nice one. Good luck!

I was made redundant at the very end of 2013 because of no work and because of my health. I've suffered from depression and anxiety attacks. Thankfully the depression has gone, but I've had the occasional attack. I've had 2 interviews and all the rest have been rejects. I do feel like I'm never going to find another job but I have to stay positive......Wish I lived in Lochgilphead as there are always jobs there I can apply for!!!!

I am very glad that I'm not in the company who I used to work for because they treat you like rubbish.

(Note to mods: At least I used an '!' instead of an 'i' !!!!)

Last edited:

lewishollings

Bright Spark
Nice one. Good luck!

I was made redundant at the very end of 2013 because of no work and because of my health. I've suffered from depression and anxiety attacks. Thankfully the depression has gone, but I've had the occasional attack. I've had 2 interviews and all the rest have been rejects. I do feel like I'm never going to find another job but I have to stay positive......Wish I lived in Lochgilphead as there are always jobs there I can apply for!!!!

I am very glad that I'm not in the company who I used to work for because they treat you like rubbish.

Oh well that sucks man, I had the same experience the first time around when I was looking for jobs, after a while of getting turned down or not replied to you get so fed up, I was pretty miserable in my old job too! So in a way i'm glad this forced me to move on, the only reason I probably got this job though is because I had a way in, my sisters boyfriend works there and handed my cv in originally, wish you the best of luck! Hope you can find a job very soon!

Sorry to hear it. I worked at a chemical plant and it shut down 4 years after I started and was made redundant. Worst thing ever as I had a mortgage and bills to pay. I applied for a gas engineers job, I had no experience and it turned out to be a adult trainee position. Sounded very technical, didn't think I had a chance but I was desperate so applied. I got the job. I now have a skilled job, better pay and I'm a lot happier. If I hadn't of lost my job I would never have known the job was up never mind apply for it. Something will come up, cheers.

edit : well done lol