Changing IP address

garyf

Ok I have a Clevo w230ss on windows 7, I need to change my ip address, I use it at home and when I take it away to work abroad. When I go away I use IP vanish so I can view uk tv programes, the last trip for a new client I received a pop up saying my ip address was blacklisted, for the few days I was there after this I could connect to their router but not to their server. As soon as I got home I tried to get on the net and had no issues.

Now my ip address at home is the same as the one I had when I was abroad, I always thought your ip address changed depending on where you were? Im going back to the same place again and would prefer to take this laptop so need to sort this before I go, any ideas?

grimsbymatt

Enthusiast
Your ip address will generally be assigned when you connect to a router. That is your local IP address, which is usually something like 192.168.x.x, which will identify you on the local network. When you communicate with the internet, you will be communicating from the network's public ip address, which at home will be the ip address assigned to you by your ISP. Go to Google and type 'ip address' and it will show you your public ip address. When you connect to another network abroad, your public ip address will depend on the ip addresses owned by that network. You generally have no control over your public ip address; or even your local one when connecting to someone else's network.

garyf

Ok I was sure they were the same, what do I need to change so the next time I log in I can surf away? How is the network identifying my laptop and blocking it?

Rakk

The Awesome
It's possible that the software you use to pretend you are in the UK is now known by whichever TV service you are using and they have stopped anyone doing so since you are only supposed to be watching it if you are in the UK.

And discussions about getting around licensing and other such rules are not allowed on these forums.

garyf

It's possible that the software you use to pretend you are in the UK is now known by whichever TV service you are using and they have stopped anyone doing so since you are only supposed to be watching it if you are in the UK.

And discussions about getting around licensing and other such rules are not allowed on these forums.

Its nothing to do with the tv licencing and not the tv service that has blocked me. Im using an oil companys server, Im able to log in to the installation router but I cant connect to their server, I cant even get a google page up. This is the case if I log in with my current ip or use the vpn software, so its the oil companys server that has blocked me. Im not bothered about the tv. Im just wondering how they have blocked me? I can use my old laptop but would rather not.

mrducking

Bright Spark
Its nothing to do with the tv licencing and not the tv service that has blocked me. Im using an oil companys server, Im able to log in to the installation router but I cant connect to their server, I cant even get a google page up. This is the case if I log in with my current ip or use the vpn software, so its the oil companys server that has blocked me. Im not bothered about the tv. Im just wondering how they have blocked me? I can use my old laptop but would rather not.

eerrr if they have blocked you, shouldnt you have this conversation with them instead of us?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If you've been using a VPN and it's encrypted they can't see what the data is (not without some effort at least) and all they can see is where that data is coming from which would be a single IP address on a basic VPN. If all your data is coming from one IP address in the UK and is encrypted, it was probably flagged up as suspicious. Unless I'm confused here and got the whole issue completely wrong.

garyf

If you've been using a VPN and it's encrypted they can't see what the data is (not without some effort at least) and all they can see is where that data is coming from which would be a single IP address on a basic VPN. If all your data is coming from one IP address in the UK and is encrypted, it was probably flagged up as suspicious. Unless I'm confused here and got the whole issue completely wrong.

Great thanks, yes that sounds about right, so its their server which would mean they supply me with an ip address? How is an ip address assigned to a specific laptop or what is the ip address assigned to? I know this is probably simple stuff to a lot of you but we all have to learn.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Great thanks, yes that sounds about right, so its their server which would mean they supply me with an ip address? How is an ip address assigned to a specific laptop or what is the ip address assigned to? I know this is probably simple stuff to a lot of you but we all have to learn.

You have a DHCP server which can be a router or a physical server that hands out IP addresses on a network. Your computer will join the network and request an IP address. The server will hand out the next available free IP address on the same range as the server. This IP is taken by your laptop or computer and physically assigned to the network card.

If you're spoofing an IP address through a VPN or proxy, DHCP servers can be monitored and if an external IP is registered that that network doesn't recognise or if there's been activity on that IP that doesn't fit with their internal practices (torrents etc), they can manually ban that IP.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

This sounds like a problem with the oil company's network. Unless you have been specifically assigned a static IP address on the oil company's server you will be using DHCP to obtain a dynamic IP address, it sounds like the oil company's DHCP server is not assigning you a proper IP address. This might be because your laptop is not configured properly for dynamic IP addressing, or the oil company's DHCP server is faulty (unlikely) or all IP addresses have already been assigned (possible) or because your MAC address (the hardware address of your network card) has been blocked in the oil company's DHCP server. The latter is quite possible if they detect that you have been watching UK TV illegally. You should contact the oil company's network administrator.