bios update for clevo w550eu

khan123

Hello

I used the software CPU-Z and I went into the Mainboard tab, I saw that the bios was last updated in 03/05/2013 which is pretty old now. How can I update it?

Laptop Clevo W550eu

Rakk

The Awesome
In my opinion BIOS updates shouldn't really be needed unless it is causing issues.
Are you having problems that need a BIOS update?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Unless there is a specific reason you need to update the motherboard bios I would not bother. Not likely to give you any noticeable benefits and if there is an issue with updating the bios it could brick your computer. To gain access to a new bios I would contact PCS's technical support

khan123

When I launch BIOS I can't see options like hyperthreading for my cpu or turbo boost so I was wondering if i updated it, it would pop up lol. sorry if it's a stupid question.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I believe the bios locks some features like the ones you mentioned, updating the bios shouldn't fixed that since it is a feature from the chassis

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I believe the bios locks some features like the ones you mentioned, updating the bios shouldn't fixed that since it is a feature from the chassis

Yep, that's correct. Laptop BIOS's arent the same as desktop and are fairly locked down with all settings defaulted such as virtualisation is enabled, hyperthreading enabled, turbo boost etc etc.

mrducking

Bright Spark
Yep, that's correct. Laptop BIOS's arent the same as desktop and are fairly locked down with all settings defaulted such as virtualisation is enabled, hyperthreading enabled, turbo boost etc etc.

Just to point out that even though this is true, as with everything else there is always a way around it :) in this case being the modded bios, which under no circunstances should you use unless you are 99% they are legit and useful and to remember that doing this will void your warranty

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just to point out that even though this is true, as with everything else there is always a way around it :) in this case being the modded bios, which under no circunstances should you use unless you are 99% they are legit and useful and to remember that doing this will void your warranty

This technique is for seriously experienced users only. Laptops are notoriously difficult to cool so the BIOS typically locks out those features that generate additional heat, so if you're going to a modded BIOS (which will invalidate your warranty) you have to really know what you're doing.

MY earnest advice to you is to accept that there are features you can't use and for very good reasons, learn to live with that or risk a bricked laptop or one that is little more than a lump of molten plastic!

Ubuysa's rule #12: Don't mess with the BIOS...