Difference between 15.6" Optimus V and 15.6" Optimus VI?

itwizkid

Hi All

Never bought a gaming laptop before so kinda new to it all, i quite like the look of the 15.6" Optimus VI. Just curious to know the difference between this and the 15.6" Optimus V. I see it uses a different GPU with the VI having the GTX960M and the V having the GTX 860M but thats really about all i can see.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Essentially, the Optimus VI is the replacement to the Optimus V, and it's only just come out, so parts going forward will be easier to get as better stocks. I imagine the cooling is better and the fan profiles will be more of a gradiated increase over the current stepping up. Plus support for the 900m series cards is a big bonus as they have the DSR feature which essentially scales everything up to up to 4k resolution on a 1080p screen (effectively).

sirbb

Also, for some reason, the Optimus V has 3 RAM modules and supports up to 24GB of RAM whereas the newer Optimus VI only seems to support 2 nodules and up to 16GB RAM. It seems to be the same with 17.3" version too . . . Does anyone know why?

dabe1971

I know one thing is a backlit keyboard on the new 17.3" one.

I ordered an Optimus V 17.3 at the start of the month which sat in processing for ages and only moved to pre-production when the Optimus VI became available. Now whilst my order spec shows the original details my 'Spare Parts' shows parts of an Optimus VI.

God knows what I'll be getting next week !

andmil72

Essentially, the Optimus VI is the replacement to the Optimus V, and it's only just come out, so parts going forward will be easier to get as better stocks. I imagine the cooling is better and the fan profiles will be more of a gradiated increase over the current stepping up. Plus support for the 900m series cards is a big bonus as they have the DSR feature which essentially scales everything up to up to 4k resolution on a 1080p screen (effectively).

I'm interested in the comments about Fans & Cooling.... I bought an Optimus V from PCS about 2 years ago and it has been a really fast and excellent machine in every way EXCEPT in the last few weeks it has started being noisy (fan) and overheating and even powering itself off. I stress this is only in high graphics gaming mode. When just running normal stuff it sits quiet and happy with no problems. I would also note that I have not found any way to adjust the power/fan/cooling except via using the standard Windows power profiles.

So I am considering passing the Optimus V to a family member who just needs standard PC functions and getting a new laptop which is my secondary gaming machine. So I'm hoping that the Optimus VI is a good contender, but I would be happier if I knew they had addressed the cooling and fan issues I have experienced with the Optimus V. Does anyone know more about this topic, or have and Optimus VI and would comment on how it runs in gaming modes. ??

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm interested in the comments about Fans & Cooling.... I bought an Optimus V from PCS about 2 years ago and it has been a really fast and excellent machine in every way EXCEPT in the last few weeks it has started being noisy (fan) and overheating and even powering itself off. I stress this is only in high graphics gaming mode. When just running normal stuff it sits quiet and happy with no problems. I would also note that I have not found any way to adjust the power/fan/cooling except via using the standard Windows power profiles.

So I am considering passing the Optimus V to a family member who just needs standard PC functions and getting a new laptop which is my secondary gaming machine. So I'm hoping that the Optimus VI is a good contender, but I would be happier if I knew they had addressed the cooling and fan issues I have experienced with the Optimus V. Does anyone know more about this topic, or have and Optimus VI and would comment on how it runs in gaming modes. ??

Have you cleaned the laptop since you've had it? You should do it once a year to remove dust build up from inside the cooling lanes and fans. If you haven't it's likely it's overheating as a result.