GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-3160 issues

atifjaved

Hello everyone,

i just got my new laptop from pcs and i have problems with WIFI.

the wifi seems awfully slow and keeps dropping and disconnecting, maybe its a driver issue

Does anyone else have this problem with the wifi card AC 3160 ?

If not what version driver do you have ? I have the latest 17.13.11.5 installed

Really

Yes having same problems here with my new Lafite with AC3160, connection extremely slow unless sat right next to router, 5GHz seems better that 2.4GHz.

Various things found on google about this problem but no fix. How I wish I had chosen a different wireless card!

Please post back if you have any joy, but laptop is basically unusable and will have to go back to PCS.

atifjaved

Yes having same problems here with my new Lafite with AC3160, connection extremely slow unless sat right next to router, 5GHz seems better that 2.4GHz.

Various things found on google about this problem but no fix. How I wish I had chosen a different wireless card!

Please post back if you have any joy, but laptop is basically unusable and will have to go back to PCS.

I got my lafite too on Friday but so disappointed with the wifi.

It seems it is a major problem with this WiFi card. I'm going to ring pcs today and see what they can do. If they can't do anything then I'm probably going to return it ,if I can

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I got my lafite too on Friday but so disappointed with the wifi.

It seems it is a major problem with this WiFi card. I'm going to ring pcs today and see what they can do. If they can't do anything then I'm probably going to return it ,if I can

If you got it on Friday you should be able to return it, I think there is a period for which you are able to send it back and get a refund minus an administration fee. However I am sure PCS will get it sorted for you before doing that.

atifjaved

If you got it on Friday you should be able to return it, I think there is a period for which you are able to send it back and get a refund minus an administration fee. However I am sure PCS will get it sorted for you before doing that.

yeah i hope they can sort it, but what i don't want is for PCS to just replace the wifi card with the exact same model, as this could create the exact same problem, Its not just me with the issue of using AC 3160 theres entire forums about the issue on other laptops too.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
yeah i hope they can sort it, but what i don't want is for PCS to just replace the wifi card with the exact same model, as this could create the exact same problem, Its not just me with the issue of using AC 3160 theres entire forums about the issue on other laptops too.

In that case, I'd inform PCS and point them to relevant forums specifying the issues, and ask them if it's possible to replace it with another card. So long as you're within your 14 days period, hopefully that would be doable.

Really

atifjaved, did you have any joy?

I don't have time to phone at the minute so I sent a message Monday but it hasn't even been read.

Intel have released a new driver in the last couple of days, however it hasn't fixed the problem.

atifjaved

atifjaved, did you have any joy?

I don't have time to phone at the minute so I sent a message Monday but it hasn't even been read.

Intel have released a new driver in the last couple of days, however it hasn't fixed the problem.

No luck, i rang them and they just told me to install the driver which pcs gave you and it should work. i told them i done all that and they told me to connect to their server so they can control my laptop and install it.

But im still having the same issue, so i dont know what my choices are.

Might just return it

atifjaved

I rang them again just now and they said they will send me a new wireless card which will come tomorrow.

So i will install the new wireless card and i will tell you if i see any difference.

Unfortunately, they are going to send me the same card as they said some people are not having problems so it just might be a faulty wireless card

atifjaved

Update

I installed the new wireless card today and im still having the same issue.

It is not my router because my phone supports 802.11ac and that works fine, so its definetly something wrong with the laptop or wireless card.

Since im a student with my finals coming up in 2 weeks im not prepared to waste my time trying to sort this out, so i think im going to ask for a refund

tomb1991

Hey guys i came across this when googling for my driver. I have the exact same problem - just bought a Lafite laptop from these guys but the Wifi card is appalling! My broadband is 150mb and I'm getting only 5mb on the speed test!? It's a great laptop but the wifi card really let's it down. Having said that I am unsure if I have the correct driver installed? You know where I can find the lastes driver to install?

Cheers

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey guys i came across this when googling for my driver. I have the exact same problem - just bought a Lafite laptop from these guys but the Wifi card is appalling! My broadband is 150mb and I'm getting only 5mb on the speed test!? It's a great laptop but the wifi card really let's it down. Having said that I am unsure if I have the correct driver installed? You know where I can find the lastes driver to install?

Cheers

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel®+Dual+Band+Wireless-AC+3160

tomasbeecham

I'm literally also having this exact problem with my Lafite. I did open up the back, and the two antennae were connected to the wrong ports (primary to auxiliary, and auxiliary to primary), so I spent one hour changing them around.
But the problem persists. PCS have sent me out a new AC 3160 card, and I expect it to arrive by Monday, but if not, I will begin to get a bit annoyed.
To anyone having this same problem, maybe check the antennae in the back? And keep everyone posted on if things improve.

audiodud

I have the AC 7265 card in my Lafite and I have felt that it cannot cope well with a slightly compromised wi-fi signal strength, even compared to my Samsung phone, but my main problem is with Bluetooth range which is very poor. Most of the time this would not be an issue, but I have a Bose Soundlink speaker which works well all around the house with my previous Dell laptop and the phone, but with the Lafite it only has a range of about 8 to 10 feet.

Could it be the all metal construction of the Lafite which is contributing to these problems?

Thanks in advance.

wolfetto

Hi,

I am the same problem with Ac 3160 intel dual band wireless card.
I am waiting for the "tech support" reply.

The problem is:

if I sit close (2 or 3 meters) far from the router, the wireless card works properly. If I move a little bit more far from the router the signal becomes too bad with high ping and disconnections.
At the same distance, another laptop and the nexus 5 mobile phone work well.
I installed the latest driver from intel site and I tried an old one version as well. The problem is still there.

Did you solved the problem?

wolfetto

I'm literally also having this exact problem with my Lafite. I did open up the back, and the two antennae were connected to the wrong ports (primary to auxiliary, and auxiliary to primary), so I spent one hour changing them around.
But the problem persists. PCS have sent me out a new AC 3160 card, and I expect it to arrive by Monday, but if not, I will begin to get a bit annoyed.
To anyone having this same problem, maybe check the antennae in the back? And keep everyone posted on if things improve.

I swapped the wires of the antenna in the bottom but nothing is improved. Just the same issue.

Did you solve the problem because you were waiting for a new AC 3160 wireless card?

wolfetto

UPDATE:

I checked the wireless coverage of the antenna and it is much better then another laptop at the same distance of the router. Actually, I had (-60Db for the lafitè and -68/-70Db for the other laptop). The power of the antenna is not blurred due to the aluminium chassis.
I analyzed one hop ping (my default gateway) and I got an average ping of 200ms with Lafité while with the other laptop I obtained 15/20 ms delay at the same distance from the source.

audiodud

I swapped the aerial connections on the wireless card (AC 7265) in my Lafite which improved the Bluetooth range quite a lot, but after a reasonable amount of experimentation, the wifi has not improved and still has random disconnects even with a good signal. With a poor signal, well not even that bad, it just refuses to connect at all, whereas my Galaxy S4 will quite easily connect under the same conditions. Much like this very moment!

Last edited:

audiodud

Update to above

I have had to resort to using a USB wifi dongle which performs far better than the internal wifi of the Lafite. It's not AC, but it is working.

Does anybody own a Lafite which has the AC 7265 wireless card, and it is working as it should?

JackBlackmore

Picked up a Lafite laptop yesterday and having exactly the same problems as everyone here! Wifi is fine when I'm in the same room as the router but becomes crippling slow as soon as I'm out. I can't see why it should be fine in my phone but not a laptop!

I've raised a support ticket so we'll see what they come back with. Tempted to try putting in the wireless card from my old laptop to see if it works