Insurance for custom built laptops?

Alir

Silver Level Poster
I really badly want to buy the Lafite laptop.

Are there any insurance companies from which I can buy insurance for a custom built laptop?
I know of Squaretrade but I just found out by talking to them over the phone that their insurance only covers laptops from 'official' brands... so branded laptops. They do not provide insurance for custom built laptops.

Alir

Silver Level Poster
can you not use home insurance? how much is the laptop worth?

Home Insurance? I don't think home insurance would cover accidental damage, spills, etc. Or would it?

I live in the UK and am 19 yrs old. I don't know much about home insurance. I thought it only covered things like house fires, theft of your home, etc.

Alir

Silver Level Poster
I mean theft of stuff in your home.

Not Chuck Norris sneakily popping your home into his trunk.

Rakk

The Awesome
Home Insurance? I don't think home insurance would cover accidental damage, spills, etc. Or would it?

I live in the UK and am 19 yrs old. I don't know much about home insurance. I thought it only covered things like house fires, theft of your home, etc.

When contents insurance is bought, there is normally an accidental damage cover you can add to the contents cover (though it is not free) if you so wish.
Often contents insurance is either bought with home insurance or comes free with home insurance (depends what deal the insurance company is offering at the time).

I know my contents insurance covers accidental damage but then I remember selecting it so it was covered.

Alir

Silver Level Poster
When contents insurance is bought, there is normally an accidental damage cover you can add to the contents cover (though it is not free) if you so wish.
Often contents insurance is either bought with home insurance or comes free with home insurance (depends what deal the insurance company is offering at the time).

I know my contents insurance covers accidental damage but then I remember selecting it so it was covered.

I don't know anything about contents insurance. How much is it...usually?

Rakk

The Awesome
I don't know anything about contents insurance. How much is it...usually?

It really depends how much contents you are insuring :)
Contents insurance is generally for the entire contents of your house (with possible exclusions) and not just for one item.

If you live on your own and don't know what contents insurance is then we can probably assume you don't have it.
If you still live with your parents they may have contents insurance already which may or may not include accidental damage

Alir

Silver Level Poster
It really depends how much contents you are insuring :)
Contents insurance is generally for the entire contents of your house (with possible exclusions) and not just for one item.

If you live on your own and don't know what contents insurance is then we can probably assume you don't have it.
If you still live with your parents they may have contents insurance already which may or may not include accidental damage

I just asked my parents. We don't have accidental damage.

Which brings me back... any third party insurance companies that cover custom built laptops?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
How much is the laptop you are planning to buy? I wouldn't go with accidental damage for less than £600 since the premium will end up likely to be worth more than the cost of the laptop after a couple of years.

Alir

Silver Level Poster
Is there much point in getting insurance for the laptop in the first place?

What does everyone think?

I remember I had a Lenovo laptop. I never broke it or dropped it. I mean it broke but that's because Lenovo laptops are built to break.

The laptop broke from a mobo defect like 8 months later. It was likely made like that.
It was a Yoga 13 for those interested.

Of all 3 people who I know who've owned that laptop, including me, all 3 laptops have broken.

Lenovo are the Xbox 360s with the RROD of laptop.

Anyways back on topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alir

Silver Level Poster
I've only heard good things, but best to check their cover terms

Would you happen to know if the provide insurance for custom built laptops?
I just skimmed through their terms and couldn't find anything from them, referencing custom built laptops

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Would you happen to know if the provide insurance for custom built laptops?
I just skimmed through their terms and couldn't find anything from them, referencing custom built laptops

Yep, it's anything, you just enter the value of the product.